Ball jointed dolls

Has anyone seen these yet? I’m not sure what to think of them.
Part of me says “yes, I want these!” and another part says “I’d never want these”

4 Likes

I saw these last night and I also wasn’t sure! I think there is a lot of potential!

1 Like

Dave is making a whole new selling website for ball jointed dolls. I’m trying to figure out what they are and if it is something I should look in to.

3 Likes

I asked Brenda yesterday. She said right now they are harder vinyl. Using a wig would be easiest. They are in the process of improving them though it will be a while.

4 Likes

Makes sense that the vinyl is harder. I wonder if the 18" ones are compatible with American girl clothes and props. And I wonder about the big bjds, they don’t show the bodies of those.

They don’t show the limbs of the bigger dolls. The faces look strange to me.
I don’t think they are very different then the toddler/child kits they already have, beside looking less realistic.
If I have to buy a ball joints doll, I will still prefer the regular ones.

1 Like

It would be nice if these had full limbs and an upper torso. Most of the bigger kits have cloth upper legs which isn’t that nice with clothing options.

I’m still on the fence about these. I placed a few in my cart to marinate until I decide, lol

1 Like

Honestly, the prototypes scare me. But, I could see people getting into the blank kits. They look like blank American girl type dolls. It would be fun to come up with different characters and back stores with them, kind of like AG does. I see the potential, but I think there would be a learning curve to paint them. Probably a totally different paint style required than for painting infants.

2 Likes

I like the prototypes, they’re very artistic dolls. But they barely show off the kit. Just the faces are shown. I hope they’ll add more pictures soon because it’s hard to see what these dolls are about.

1 Like

Those are so strange! I love it! Can’t wait to see more versions. I love different and unique things

1 Like

I like them as I have a few 18 inch dolls. It would be cool to paint my own. Looking forward to getting one in the future. Thanks for sharing. @EnchantedOrphanage

1 Like

I got a little excited when I heard these were on the way. I appreciate really nice ball jointed dolls but I was thinking fully articulated dolls, art dolls, Monster high, Blythe, Popovy. This… doesn’t rock my world. I am a little disappointed. They could be fun, you can get creative with them but I think I will wait until this comes together a little more.

Dave at Reborn’s is doing a BJD site, I have heard from collector friends that they don’t have a solid selling platform for the dolls, I think this might be a great idea, a safer way to collect and sell. I hope it goes well.

If you are not familiar with them and want to have a little fun check out some Face up video’s on You Tube, My youngest son and I follow this artist, she is really awesome. Watch out, it is so easy to fall down the rabbit hole!

.Repaint! 휴쥬 프레야 Hujoo Freya Custom OOAK Doll Face Up - YouTube

3 Likes

I am always so scared I will be like newcomers to reborns and only find scam sites. :frowning:

1 Like

I am not sure I am understanding, are you worried there will be scam sites on his new platform? I think he is going to do the same there as he does on reborn and be specific about what you can sell and people can report. I am not sure how easy that will be with these babies since like reborn sculpts the bodies are all mostly made in China. I don’t know a lot about that community, what their rules are, who the big artists are, I am guessing they have it worked out? I have a friend in that community and they seem to be pretty particular and don’t put up with scammers. I am kinda excited, I can’t wait to see them, I don’t collect but I do have a box full of naked monster high dolls I have wanted to do face-ups on forever. I think you would be good at it, I will Pm you in a little while.

2 Likes

I have just seen many sponsored ads on fb for ball jointed dolls and dragons that are stolen photos just like reborns. I know many of the blanks are copies.

I would love to buy an authentic bjd kit someday but not sure where to look.

A lot of research would have to go into it before I trust the site enough if I found one to buy from.

Maybe his bjd site will have kits in the accessories tab also? Of course thats only if an artist is selling one

2 Likes

Never Kane- who sculpted the adorable Barnabe for reborning primarily does BJD! They’ve certainly caught my eye before, but they are terribly expensive (even blank)! These are super interesting to me, and I might order one of the ones from Mcphersones. :thinking: I’m a little hesitant. Mostly because I don’t NEED to branch my into anymore doll types. :sweat_smile: I already have/like too many! But defiantly check out Nefer Kane’s work if you haven’t before! They’re super cool! https://www.ckdolls.com/

3 Likes

I think the sculptor of Sylvan, Marjoline Barge does also

2 Likes

I love ball jointed dolls. A few years back I went to a couple of meetups and saw so many amazingly painted dolls. And don’t get me started on their proportions and amazingly realistic, sized down clothing and accessories.

I didn’t get involved any further than just those two meetups though, as the hobby itself is very cost prohibitive. Of course, I thought the same thing about reborns when I first discovered them, and just look at where I am now, dozens of kits later.

One thing’s for sure, I don’t think I have what it takes to paint BJD’s. I will not be trying to paint my own to save on money. Maybe I’ll treat myself one day in the far off future though, we’ll see.

2 Likes

Very cool, if I start collecting we will have to sell the children. I think I need to stick to painting and just loving BJD from afar, I love the creativity so much.

1 Like