Baby FX colors yay/nay?

So I think I have the colors and mediums I want picked out:

Buttercup-replace my genesis yellow
True Blue-replace my ultra marine bue
Mottle and Blush-replace my pyrolle red 02
Brow and Bronze-replace my burnt umber
Flesh Tone-make the lip color I like and nails
With the slow dry, final matte sealer system, and ultra matte, that would set me at $62 before checkout.

I am also considering veins and shade-it looks like a good blue wash color.
Pale green-just in case i accidently go nuts with red or get a pink kit.
And inner glow (im mostly just curious about this one). With those included, price goes up to 83 before check out.

4 Likes

No idea…But I’m curious to find out.
Haha, you have no idea how many times I reread “Anywhoslewhatsit” to figure out how to say it out loud… :yum:

4 Likes

For a primary blue choose Veins and Shade. I think the True Blue is just slightly lighter blue. I have and use the Vein and Shade blue.

I believe the buttercup is slightly more golden than primary yellow. Warm Details is a true primary yellow. The Oh So Yellow probably is pretty much too but I have not seen that one in person. I have the Warm Details though and it is just yellow. However, I don’t use mine much even when laying primary colors. I prefer more of a yellow ochre shade for my yellow layers so I use Naturalise.

Mottle and Blush is your true red.

You do need Thin Skin. It is a good color correction to have and also helps pull coloring together when used in thin washes.

The inner glow is a very iridescent translucent white. It can be layered over any other color to give it a shimmery look.

4 Likes

So i will definitely switch out that yellow color. How does veins and shade stand up to genesis ultra-marine blue (what i use?) I know true blue is described as ultra marine blue. It doesnt have any green shade to it does it? I was considering just getting both to compare, but if you like vein and shade better i will just get that one instead of true blue. And thin skin instead of pale green? Ok. I have used both yellow ochre washes (Clyde) and primary yellow (Kimberly) ive noticed that the yellow ochre makes for a warmer color, so i will probably add in the naturalize as an option for babies that i want done with warmer skin tones. Thank you, i will update my list of colors!

1 Like

So it will definitely be:

Veins and shade
Warm details
Mottle and blush
Brow and bronze
Thin skin
Naturalise
Flesh tone
(And maybe inner glow.)

Am I missing anything?

2 Likes

Following

1 Like

The first run of the Baby FX powders were lighter pigmentation than the updated versions. I initially got the first color pallet and many of those colors were too light. See photo of my first set:
https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/11219049_1125791687472942_6390354517828293076_n.jpg?oh=8b87295f9ff063572bd0f6c0c5bee98c&oe=579E550A

I have since gotten the replacement colors for purple, yellow, blue and green and they are definitely more concentrated in pigment. I have not gotten the newer creases color.

As for size, they are exactly the same size at the Coastal Scents powders. As you can see here in my photo they fit in my Coastal Scents pallet and are the same size. These are all the newer stronger colors I have gotten shown here except for the purple as I did not have it when I took this photo.

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13179336_1232537633465013_1398052916973798856_n.jpg?oh=85b18de57ae93a340447f5f38f0d1e46&oe=57E6B57D

As for my take on powders overall, I use them some for enhancement and like them for ethnic shading. I started out using Coastal Scents powders according to the methods recommended by Sue-Ellen. I liked them okay but was not totally sold on using them for more than enhancements. I have since gotten these Baby FX powders to try because I wanted powders with no cosmetic binders in them. These are more crumbly because they do not have the cosmetic binders in them but they work as intended.

To me there is no one powder better or worse. I view them as an ok enhancement no matter what brand you are using.

2 Likes

I sold all my Coastal Scents powders and these Baby FX ones are all I have now.
Some ladies prefer using soft pastel chalks/pigments and are doing well with those. I have not tried them myself. I really do not see what all the hulabaloo and fighting is about pigments. They have been around for years and if you look you can find many different brands and formulations to work with besides just these.

2 Likes

Let me know how that goes. I had some issues with Coastal Scents wiping off when used in conjuction with Genesis. I found for me the best way to use powders is at the very end of my painting as enhancements or shading before I do my final sealing.

1 Like

Vein and shade blue looks like regular blue to me. I have another color that has a blue green tint to it but this one does not.

2 Likes