Babies turning Black/ Edited with pic

Has anyone had BB babies fingers and toes turn blue or black? I now have had Molly, Sofie and Shyann turn that way. These babies I made about 4 years ago. Shyann adoptive mom just told me about her today. Honestly I don’t know what to tell her. This is very upsetting.
Anyone hear of this happening???

Explore Stephanie Block

Here is a pic of BB sofie. It is my daughters doll. I am not kidding when I tell you that those toes used to be so very dark black. I thought my granddaughter had used marker on her. but that was not the case. BUT my daughter said that the zit cream I used on it worked really good. It still has discoloration but it is sooooo much better.

Do you have pictures?

A lot of time the dye in clothing will seep into the vinyl. So if the baby has a red or navy colored hat or blanket it can stain the vinyl. I just repaired a doll that had a black hat on and the black dye absorbed into the ears and forehead. All I did was generously smear on a zit cream with 10% benzoyl perozide and place it in the sun. After about 2 days, the black dye bleached out but the paint was unaffected.

— Begin quote from “MadewithLilysLove”

Do you have pictures?

A lot of time the dye in clothing will seep into the vinyl. So if the baby has a red or navy colored hat or blanket it can stain the vinyl. I just repaired a doll that had a black hat on and the black dye absorbed into the ears and forehead. All I did was generously smear on a zit cream with 10% benzoyl perozide and place it in the sun. After about 2 days, the black dye bleached out but the paint was unaffected.

— End quote

I really don’t think that is the problem. The greyish color starts at the finger tip and gets darker and darker with time. It also is on the toes. I will post a pic today when I get it.

Perhaps it’s mold from having moisture inside the limbs. The water would settle in the fingertips and toes. In time it grows and seeps through the vinyl.
" It’s probrably a very good idea to clean off your vinyl kit on the outside really well with warm soapy water. Do not get water on the inside of the kit, if the inside of the vinyl gets wet and there is the slightest moisture inside this will cause mold to grow inside. (Mold shows up on the outside starting as little black or green dots)" This is from Nicole Russell’s website.
Mary

Unfortunately they aren’t. They are bountiful baby kits. It hasn’t happened to me, but it’s happening to several of Stephanie’s kits.

**Yes I think it is dye since the zit cream helped. I feel better. At least I can do something about it and it is not my fault. I had this vision of all my customer coming back with this problem. I was freaking out. So Thank you ladies for your input. **

i did have this happen to me with an ashton drake doll!!! it was not exposed to anything that could darken it!!! a lot of other people had this problem too!!! a lot of talk was that they felt the vinyl had not cured right and it was mold growing in the vinyl!!! i do not know what really caused it but i know from experience that it happened!!! it really concerns me to read this!!!

Should we be putting a caution notice in with the dolls we sell? Baby clothes come in navy blue, black, red, etc. Should the dolls be dressed only in pastels?

on my care for reborn I add a caution note to wash dark colors prior to wearing them and to ensure the color is not longer bleeding out.
The mark in the picture look very similar to what happen to me when the vinyl of the limbs touched a stained wooden tray they were sitting on

— Begin quote from “jeanhai”

Should we be putting a caution notice in with the dolls we sell? Baby clothes come in navy blue, black, red, etc. Should the dolls be dressed only in pastels?

— End quote

I now tell all my cutomers that dark clothing can bleed onto the doll. I also tell them that the hair will not grow back (LOL) so be gentle when brushing.

1 Like

If it’s really the vinyl, all I can think about is repainting. But it can also have stained with clothes or shifted color due to sunlight.

Are they all Ashton Drake and turning color? I have Picture Perfect by them and she started to turn a gray/green color. This is not a permanent fix but if you lay them out in the sunlight for a few hours the discoloration should go away. I do that when my little girl starts to turn and it has always worked so far. I don’t remember how I found that out (I was browsing the internet in hopes of finding a cure and stumbled across someone with the same problem) but it really works.