Attempting Primary Washes - and I think I like it!

I have a couple heads I need to root, but it was such a pleasant day today, I thought I would get some painting and baking in. So, I pulled out my Kase Awake that I got free over Memorial Day. I decided to try the primary wash technique and see what the fuss was all about.

Well, I think I really like it. I actually started with a Baby Skin layer that I baked, to sort of protect the vinyl, so to speak. I was afraid of the blue wash staining the vinyl. Anyway, I started with red, yellow and then blue and then I baked. I really liked the subtle color changes with each layer. It seems like it will be very easy to color correct by just skipping a color or adding a second layer of the same color, or whatever. I found it very easy to detect the color in the creases and keep those clean and it doesn’t seem chalky at all, like the light flesh tones can sometimes be.

I didn’t take any photos and I don’t think you would be able to see what I am seeing with my eyes anyway from photos. I think I can already see very slight variations in the color based on how I applied it, pounced it, etc. I think these slight imperfections will just add to the realism of the skin tones in the end. But I just wanted to say I tried it and so far, I like it.

2 Likes

That’s all the reasons I like this method!! :blush: I’m so glad you’re enjoying it now. I don’t use flesh color at all. I do my colors in red, yellow, blue so the blue is going on top of the other colors. Once I did it first and boy did it grab! :open_mouth:

1 Like

Are you using Genesis red, Genesis yellow and ultra marine blue?

1 Like

Yes, those exactly. I got them from Bountiful Baby.

1 Like

Thank you!!!:smiley::heart:️:smiley::heart:️

I’m doing my first one with air dry primary washes also. So far, I like this method, too. I was afraid of the blue for the same reason but applied a very thin layer and it seems to be okay.

2 Likes

Ellen, I apply one wash and let it flash off (dry) before adding the next color. When all 3 washes have been applied and the last one has flashed off, I then bake.

4 Likes