Anyone used this matte varnish?

I have been hearing a lot about it. Jen Len told me she uses it over the Americana Soft Touch after it dries to make it more matte. I ordered some off Amazon last night. Different label but same stuff.

1 Like

Yea but do NOT use it straight over GHSP it will peel off.

I use it on my air dry and have no issues. Mind, it is TOO matte sometimes. I have to go over my hair with straight Americana to add some sheen back, and to the t zone of the face.

3 Likes

I have just tried it, I don’t find it so matt, it may be the application? I use a sponge.

OK so Jen Len says she is using Americana Soft Touch varnish first for a good seal and then putting this over it to make it more matte. Granted she paints air dry but do you think this would work on Genesis if one used the Soft Touch first?

1 Like

I paint it on with a makeup brush and do two layers

1 Like

Yes then it should be fine from what I’ve messed about with. But when I applied it directly on an unvarnished piece it peeled off. I sealed over it with Americana and it stopped the peeling

That sounds like a nightmare! I have severe varnish anxiety I’ve had nothing but problems with varnish

1 Like

So mine came today. My grand daugheter’s play doll here has shiney spots so I will test it on her. She is Genesis painted and then sealed with the air dry corn starch mix. That mix works well for matting but does not hold up to a kid dragging the doll across the floor. LMBO!

1 Like

Seems to work fine. Will see how she holds up.

3 Likes

I use the Soft Touch varnish over my Genesis, so maybe then this stuff could go over that? I sometimes like less sheen on my painted hair. I wonder if this would help.

It honestly in feel reminds me of the FolkArt SoftTouch Topcoat Matte but this is much much thinner. I am not sure if it is just the way it feels on this particular doll or not but it has that slight “rubber” feel to it that was very noticeable with the FolkArt SoftTouch Topcoat. The FolkArt can be thinned down with water and may be just as well.

1 Like

I have been using this for about a year now on air dry, I just brush it on and let it dry and do 3 coats, have had no issues, it shouldn’t feel rubbery, it feels smooth and almost velvety, I love it.

Only the ultra matt is actually matt, the normal matt version dries with a shine.

2 Likes

Thanks!

I’ve used it, I use GHSP and it was awful for me, it cracked peeled really badly after a couple of weeks. I used it once over my ghsp and once over a layer of golden matte varnish with the same results. I have seen really hit or miss results for both air dry and GHSP users, either they love it or it cracks and peels. Makes me wonder if there were some bad batches of it or something. I would definitely try it on a test part over however you normally paint.

1 Like

Thanks! Good to know.