Anyone ever use these bottles to hold thinner

A few months ago I posted about my Mona Lisa thinner taking on a bad smell inside the plastic squeeze bottle I keep it in, so I have it right there to mix my paints with. I really do believe it is the plastic bottles causing the bad smell. I checked my Gamsol that I store in the same kind of bottle, and it too has a funky smell developing. I think the thinner is dissolving the plastic a bit, maybe, and causing the bad smell. I am looking for glass bottles that would work the same without the dissolving plastic issues. Has anyone used these to keep your thinner in, so you can easily pour it when you mix your paint?

These would probably work but the stopper is some kind of rubber and the thinner would have to pass through it. Glass bottles/jars with screw on lids (Amazon/Walmart) might be a better option.

3 Likes

Thanks! With the glass jars would it be easiest to spoon thinner out into the wells of the pallete when mixing paint colors? I don’t want anything that can spill over easy or be messy.

I use mason jars, they seal and i use the small jam size for anything that would be corrosive or pick up plastic smell.

2 Likes

You can use metal measuring spoons to spoon out what you need.

1 Like

I just use a plastic pipette for my thinner

I use a hair color bottle similar to this one. Its made to hold up to chemicals. It’s really easy to squeeze out small amounts. I don’t keep it completely full, just fill it about halfway when needed. It doesn’t make a big mess when I knock it over, just a couple drops if that.

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing that, Aly! I was wondering what other used. The bottle I have are made for salad dressings and stuff and are probably not meant to hold up to the chemicals in the thinner. I could probably find your bottles on Amazon. I find that a squeeze type bottle works best for me.

1 Like

I personally use these, excuse the background mess…

I bought them on Amazon, and have used them for thinner, acetone, etc… for about 2 years now? I’ve never had any issue with smells, or any plastic damage or anything.

1 Like

I just keep an old thinner label taped to it and keep it up high- definitely don’t want anyone thinking it’s water :grimacing:

1 Like

I like that these are harder plastic.

I found some glass syrup bottles with metal pour spouts while looking on Amazon, and ordered a few to see if they might work. If they don’t then I will be trying the ones you ladies shared here.

1 Like