100 percent isopropyl alcohol to prep kit.?

Is 100 percent isopropyl alcohol good to strip a kit with

Yes !

I didn’t realize this could be used. Would this be as an alternative after the usual suspects didn’t work? Is there a certain kind of paint it works best on?

@Purplefetish

Was thinking about that. I found some nail polish remover today that has acetone in it. Haven’t tried yet. I am worried about it “melting” the vinyl however.

There’s 100 percent isopropyl alcohol, and 100 percent acetone. They are different.

Oh I know, but I was going after the acetone first, remember? I have to see which alcohol we have. It may be 70%.

1 Like

I use pure acetone on my old kits that where varnish and painted a long time ago. I am very careful to not let it sit in the creases.
I use 99%isopropyl alcohol for most of my stripping. It works very well.
Nail polish remover do nothing.
Windsor and Newton work fine, but let a greasy residue and cost an arm here.

2 Likes

Sounds like you’ve tried it all!

1 Like

Yep ! Let me tell you that after 4 years, I have stripped more kits than I have completed :joy:

2 Likes

Yes I hate the greasy residue! It also leaves stuff sticky if you’re just tryin to patch a small part. I could only find the nail polish remover with acetone in it at the small store I went to.

1 Like

My walmart store carries 100% acetone nail polish remover…the other day i watched someone use it to clean up dried spray paint off the floor. Only took a couple minute to pour it and wipe it up. Couldn’t even tell that there was any paint on the floor… This is the stuff that was used

1 Like

I can never seem to find the things I need at Walmart! The other day, I couldn’t even find cosmetic wedges! I was so confused!

I buy mine at the … hardwares store ? Not sure how you call them in english. Where you buy tools and screws, nails, etc…and paint (for the walls!)
It came in a metallic container.

1 Like

Hardware store is correct! I hadn’t thought to look there. I am so leery on products with strong odors, as my airways are so freaking sensitive!

1 Like

You can wear a mask, the type with filters, it helps. You will look like a soldier in a war but it works…

1 Like