What could go wrong? Reborning a cheapie?

True, I wouldn’t want to put that much into it.

2 Likes

Since you don’t want to do it yourself I wouldn’t bother. That’s a big investment when no one knows what that vinyl could do in reaction to heating or paint.

Imo

2 Likes

You know, I have only been on this forum just over 2 years. But, I don’t ever recall an artist taking on something like that. Maybe they have and I missed it. Just my personal feelings, so please don’t take me wrong. I think for what you want, you could buy the cheaper paints at Michael’s etc. (the Folk Art, etc.) and just get cheap brushes (some artists say cheapy brushes are just as good) and just try your hand at it. Air dry, like Folk Art (which we would never use on a real reborn kit) would be removable as long as you did not allow it to dry. If you saw something you were not happy with, I mean. I agree with the others, to save the money an artist would charge (IF you can find one to do it) and get a really, super nice reborn made later on. We have some on this forum who do SUPER great jobs on their dolls. I know you already know that, though. :slight_smile: To be honest, I should have just waited and bought one from a Super great artist myself instead of all I have invested in over 2 years and I still do not have a really nicely painted doll.

3 Likes

My real mission here is still purchasing a full size high quality reborn for my mother.

This was just an afterthought for myself with something I already had. I’m also not emotionally invested in this little doll, nor have I put much money into it.
Just a whimsical idea on a cheap doll that has room for improvement.
Using craft paints would probably work!

2 Likes

It can be done, and you could probably do it yourself. Fun Project, lol. Here is a post about me doing that though I did not use an AA baby. I still haven’t finished them.

2 Likes

So, I’m not so crazy…? Or if I am, I’m in good company? :smile:

2 Likes

Enjoyed seeing all the minis in that link. I actually have more dollhouse size babies than any other kind of dolls.

2 Likes

Of course you are not crazy. You just came with a question and we have tried to give you the best information we have. At the end of the day it is your choice how you get, or whether you get it done, and how much money you spend. :slight_smile: if you do go through with it, I, and I am sure the rest, would love to see the progress.

2 Likes

So yes it can be done this was a manufactured doll that I reborned. Taht being said because she is so small you would have to weigh the cost of doing it. If a reborn is your long term goal then I would save to get one instead of spending money to fix this one up.

6 Likes

Oh wow. That’s a bigger improvement than I would expect.

1 Like

I’ve been shopping for a full sized, professionally done reborn for my mom for the last few months. It is a gift from me to her, and the money has already been saved.

Her preference list is rather specific, but I have final say on the choice. She knows it’s coming eventually but wants to be surprised and not make any more choices. Seeing pictures of dolls gets confusing and overwhelming for her, so I no longer send them and it’s all up to me.

It’s just a matter of finding the right one as it will be her first, and very likely last. I’ll probably inherit it myself a few years, before I choose my own reborn. Mom is close to 75.

This was just a fun distraction as I happened to have this doll that I thought could use a paint job.

This forum is very helpful in my research for Mom’s gift. Of course, the first websites I found were scams. Glad I have found this site, and reborns.com. I know that I’m dealing with real artists and learning about the reborn process along the way. Thanks, guys :heart:

2 Likes

That made over baby is super cute!

2 Likes

Wow, you sure have creative vision. What a beautiful reborn doll you created.

2 Likes

Thank you ladies. I love doing the remakes of manufactured dolls

2 Likes

What about vinyl putty to fill in the grooves rather than grinding them down? Has anyone ever tried that?

1 Like

I just paint or root over them.

2 Likes

Wow , I love it

1 Like