Golden Matte Polymer Varnish test

These are all air dry products

Thank you.

I know this is an old post but I just bought some Golden Matte Polymer Varnish to try. Could it be mixed with the paint for UV protection or would it make it shiny? What if a little cornstarch were added?

I have not tried that. The best thing is to just seal your paint with it when done. It is not totally matte alone IMO so I do add some corn starch and ditomaceous earth to mine or you can just use corn starch, following my recipe I have posted here before.

I have used this for yearsā€¦ straight out of the bottle, pounce it well, let dry and next day do a second coatā€¦ I love thi stuff

1 Like

Is it rough to touch if you pounce it? I really hate that sandpapery feel.

1 Like

no, not at allā€¦ what it does is take away that ā€œrubberyā€ feel, if you paint with air dry and makes it much smoother (like to slide on tights, or stockings) The best trick I have found, is keep using dry sponges, and press into the vinyl, like, tap, tap tapā€¦ hard on the vinyl and removes all shine (Iā€™m doing toddlers, so really want a matte finish) I hate shiny vinyl, pet peeve of mine

1 Like

Adding the matting powders does not make it rough either. Very silky and you do not have to work so hard to get a matte finish. I could never get mine to look matte enough using it straight.

What do you use for an isolation coat?

Currently the RebornFX Sealer as I have lots of it left over from when I bought up several bottles to teach classes. However, you can Mix 2 parts GAC 500 to 1 part Golden Airbrush Transparent Extender to create an isolation coat.

Please educate me. What is an isolation coat?

1 Like

Have you tried Melissa Georgeā€™s isolation coat yet?

Isolation coat is a permanent, non-removable coating that serves to physically separate the paint surface from the removable varnish. This will help protect the surface if the varnish is ever removed and make future cleaning and conservation easier to avoid working directly on top of the pigmented part of the work.

No I have not. I have been using the RebornFX Sealer.

1 Like

So I just ordered this. Can I use this over genesis heat sets?

It should work fine if they have been thoroughly heat set. I have not tried it myself since I do not use the Genesis much any more.

1 Like

I used the varnish on my test belly plate and I canā€™t tell the difference. I even did three coats and still nothing. Could I be doing something wrong? I applied it from the jar with a sponge and brush thin layer pounced it well and still no changes

Are you saying it did not matte it enough or that you cannot feel it? It will not leave a noticable texture behind. If you find it is not matte enough you can add some corn starch melted in distilled water to it to make it more matte. I typically add extra matting to mine because I am trying to matte down the sheen left behind from the RebornFX paints and Mediums.

Thank you

1 Like

Did you be sure to stir the varnish very very well before applying it?