Eye questions.......I have several!

That baby is beautiful @Claire! Thank you!

1 Like

Probably because size varies between different eye brands. Full round glass eyes you typically want to go a size down from what is recommended. There are also different pupil sizes to consider. An 18mm eye may fit correctly, but if the pupil on the eye is too small it still won’t look right. Different eyes will have different roundness shapes (I’m not sure how to describe this correctly.) An example would be is I have a kit that takes 18mm eyes, and I tried 2 different 18mm flat back eyes from different companies. When I place them back to back on the flat side they are the same size. When you look at them from the rounded part you can see that they are slightly different shapes. One sticks out more than the other. Only one pair actually worked with my kit, the other pair did not fit in the eye socket correctly.

It’s definitely frustrating to figure out eyes for a kit sometimes. I remember once I kept ordering eyes for a completed baby one pair at a time until I found ones that worked. I ended up buying 5 different pairs, it drove me nuts! Sometimes people will make a post asking if anyone who has reborned a particular kit what type and eye size they used. If you put the sculpt name plus what size eyes? in the title of your post you can more easily find people who have reborned the kit and know which eyes work well. Hopefully that all made sense and was helpful:)

4 Likes

Her hair is ADORABLE!!!

1 Like

Yes it makes perfect sense! Thank you! And that’s what I meant about shipping taking so long… I don’t want buying eyes to be a 6 month process lol. I’ll make another post with just the kits to get a better idea from others who have made them. Thank you again for all of the information!

1 Like

I use a pair of scissors to cut the bottom of the eye socket. I am not comfy with my exacto and less chance to cut through. Just take your time and go for it. :wink:

1 Like

Thank you!

Here is my Clyde. I used the recommended size in BB half round.

4 Likes

He’s gorgeous! All of your babies are! What is the advantage of going up a size in eyes? I’ve heard others mention that and I’m really confused? Is it just about how well the eye sits in the socket? I’m sorry to sound so dumb about all of this but it’s really confusing.

1 Like

I think going up a size is to get less white to show. I’ve tried it twice and couldn’t get the dang eyes in the sockets. I did it on my Andi and it worked out nicely her head was extremely soft though. All other times I’ve stuck to the recommended size. I’ve never had a problem with a kit from BB and the recommended size in BB half round not fitting.

3 Likes

How do you know if you use a flat back, oval, or round? BB’s site listed the size for this kit as 18mm…

1 Like

I think you are pretty safe getting flat back round, that’s the most popular eye socket, I think. If you want to put full you would have to cut the socket open more at the back. And I think when most use oval they have to fill the socket with stuffing or a wedge most of the time to get it to stay. The flat back rounds usually fit perfectly in the socket without modifying it, you just need to slit it open on the inside to get them in or heat the head and insert them from the front.

1 Like

For Dominic and Clyde you will be safe to order flat back round from BB.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for being so patient to explain all of that! I really appreciate it!

No problem, hope you get some eyes for your babies.

1 Like

I LOVE this painted hair!!:orange_heart:

Thank you.

1 Like