Yellow top of head

Hey ladies. So I’m getting a yellow discoloration on top of my babies heads when I bake them upright (and I just had a head split from baking it while laying down). I thought getting it further away from the heating element would eliminate the problem so I bought an extender ring. I just finished baking after my second complexion layer and I again noticed the discoloration. I need help! Please and thank you.

1 Like

Are you baking too hot or too long? Is your oven new? Do you have a separate oven thermometer to make sure it’s baking at the temperature you set it to? (I know, not really help, just questions to try to pinpoint why this is happening. Sorry)

1 Like

I’m baking at 260 for 6 minutes. My oven was bought used (they’re SO expensive :confounded:). I do not have a separate thermometer (what sort should I use, please?). Nope, that sounds like help to me :slight_smile:

1 Like

They really ARE expensive. I bought mine used as well. My dome has begun cracking pretty badly and the replacement parts are so expensive that I may as well just buy a whole new oven. The thermometer I use has a flat base as well as a hook type thing at the top so it can be hung from the bars at the top of the oven. I believe it came from target, but my memory isn’t the best.

1 Like

Found it.

1 Like

THANK YOU! I’ll have to get one next month when I’ve got more spending money, haha

1 Like

Yellowing of kits seems to be a common problem lately. I know that I am seeing it for the first time on one of mine and I have seen several posts about mystery spots on different brands, different kits, in different locations. One common connector is that we all use GHSP, but other than that :woman_shrugging: Could there have been a recent change in the way the vinyl produced?

2 Likes

I use air dry and, so far, haven’t had any yellow spots appear. Maybe the pigments in the paints are different?

2 Likes

I was wondering if my paints were old and breaking down, but they’re not separating in their jars. I’ve done more than a dozen Reborns and this is the first one I’ve had with yellow spots. I’m completely at a loss.

1 Like

I’m sure you probably already do this but do you wash them thoroughly before you begin painting? If not maybe the paint is reacting with something.

1 Like

I do. It’s frustrating. I’m still practicing so this isn’t a baby I plan to sell but what the heck, right?

1 Like

I’ve experienced several kits lately developing yellowish or yellow-brown spots on upper foreheads and top of the heads, after applying several layers. It usually seems to correct as I add more layers. I too wondered if it was from baking the heads upright, but I’ve done that for years without a problem. I suspect it has something to do with the newer vinyl.

3 Likes

I wash thoroughly with Dawn and a toothbrush, then wipe with alcohol. I always bake upright. I suspect the vinyl as well, but I have only the one yellow nostril as evidence. My yellow spots showed up after my 3rd or 4th layer with no indication that there was anything off about the area.

2 Likes

Mine show up around four layers or so, too.

1 Like

I just started with GHSP as I have always used air dry- now I am scared of not just melting, but yellow spots ughhh! That would be so frustrating.

2 Likes