Worst Neutralizer Ever Award Goes to...Me :(

Okay neutralizing pros- I need your help! I took color theory in school, so theoretically, I should know just what I’m doing, but I hate neutralizing kits, and don’t seem to be getting much better. I love the kits BB has made over the past fews years, because the pale vinyl is like painting on a beautifully prepared canvas, but the orange kits just drive me insane. Can you please share your process with me? Thank you! :grinning:

2 Likes

First, I lighten the vinyl by using white. Afterwards, I will use a light wash of green to neutralize the remaining orange color.

6 Likes

Do you just do 1 wash of each, or several? Or does it depend on the individual kit? And are you mixing it the consistency of a flesh wash?

1 Like

Yes, the consistency of a thick flesh wash. It depends on the vinyl how many. Paler kits will usually only need one…two for the darker ones. I will repeat a white wash and neutralizer about mid way when I need to lighten the vinyl again and neutralize.

2 Likes

I use the violet washes but add white or flesh 08 making a milky colour… the flesh or white will help bring the vinyl up to a lighter colour to deal with… then I do flesh layers 2 with a tiny mix of lip just to add a fresh baby skin (Probably could use baby flesh ??? just thought of that…hahaha) then go back and work with washes again…I find that sometime heaps of washes aren’t necessary unless the vinyl is a hideous shade of dark orange…I also keep my skin tones, creases, mottling etc in the strawberry tones as they have enough purple to counter the orange…

1 Like

For the peachy orange kits I use a couple thin washes of a very pale blue and a thicker layer of flesh 08 with a ripped cosmetic sponge to add a little base skin texture. That usually gets it pretty light to begin building on :slight_smile:

2 Likes