When would you stop a sale?

As slow as sales are, this may seem like an insane question, but…

A lady contacted me about a baby. She asked for more pics. Fine. Close ups of various parts. Okay. Decided to buy, but needs to make payments… hmmm… I don’t normally, but okay this time. She paid a deposit and now is uncomfortable again, asking for more pics, asking about how shiny it is and on and on and on.

I get needing to see what you are buying, but at what point are we done here? I’m getting the vibe that I will not be able to make her happy regardless. And I won’t be able to do this despite the fact that I’m sitting here answering questions and accepting a payment plan on a very reasonably priced doll. :confused:

2 Likes

I actually would refund and stop because at that point, it sounds like she may get the doll then get “buyer’s remorse” or something but she may very well get the doll and fall in love but she seems like she might be a lot to handle. But, I do wish you good luck on your sale! Also, where are you selling at? If you don’t mind

6 Likes

I sell on reborns @vcasborn, but this came from social media.

My gut has been telling me to stop this for a few hours now. I even point blank told her that I felt like this wasn’t the right baby for her and that she should look around.

My past experience is that people who buy do so because they love the baby. Maybe they will ask for a specific exrra pic or something, but when they see it, it’s like, “This is the one! How do I pay?” My customers have almost all been wonderful and I get lots of repeat business… This particular transaction is just not like the others, so I had to see if this was my lack of patience or the wrong time of the month. Lol Sounds like neither in this case.

2 Likes

What reason would you give? Refund and say what? The lady was nice throughout this whole thing. I don’t want to offend her.

I knew you would say refund, @anon77773884! You don’t mess around! :rofl::rofl: And I’m much like you on a regular basis… just second guess myself sometimes.

1 Like

Did you watermark ALLLLLL the pictures you sent her???

I just seen yesterday on facebook about a potential buyer asking for pics in a message… then later was trying to sell said baby on other pages… USING the pictures the owner sent her and she even sent videos…

This happens to be a Romie Silicone… and the thief is asking for $1000… the lady who actually has the baby is selling for $10,000!!!

1 Like

No. :no_mouth:

Wow. Had no idea. Man… people are something.

1 Like

Right?! First time I had seen it that bad. She provided enough pictures that the thief could easily only provide a few in a listing, then provide more if a “buyer” asked for more. :frowning: Only thing she didn’t have was a safety photo with her name and the doll

2 Likes

I’ve seen someone Photoshop that… badly, but still. :confused:

1 Like

It sounds like she wants you to try to convince her to buy the doll- in which case if she isn’t sure she wants it, once she gets it she will look for reasons as to why she doesn’t want it.
The close ups- ok. But that should have been what would make up her mind.
Next thing you know she’s asking for her deposit back.
I would not deal with her.
I’ve been making them for 8 years and whenever I dealt with one of these people it turns into me having to beg them to finish paying and I end up refunding them in the long run.

3 Likes

That whole first paragraph of yours is what kept circling through my head over and over and over… I’m just done with it at this point. I refunded her this morning and sent her a nice message. Hopefully this is the end of it.

I love making these babies- will never get tired of it. Dealing with people is what I don’t love. Lol Except for some of the really nice ones. I get the cutest little pictures and nicest notes from them. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Of course she could not stop it. She’s questions my work. Like calling me out for hiding that my work is not up to par, this is not how business is done. I wished her the best on her search for the perfect reborn- mine was not is because nothing I paint is ever $100 perfect- and blocked her. Done.

Hope this is it this time. This kind of stuff gives me anxiety for some reason.

4 Likes

Yes Red Flags! Protect yourself :slight_smile: Someone else will want your doll.

3 Likes

This is what I’ve seen as well so far, @anon77773884. I don’t have the experience that many of you have because I haven’t been selling that long, but so far the customers that want them really want them without all of this… my last customer asked for a few extra pics, but that was it. She refused to sleep until she knew I had the money because she was scared someone else would buy it.

Now the rest of this is just a gripe… but this one was listed cheaper than most of my others, so to anyone with good sense, this would be a good deal. But honestly it seems like whenever i do this (looking for a quick, hassle free sale), it is then that I get people like this… I seriously spent a whole day back and forth with this woman- more time than I spend with buyers who just buy at full price… rant over.

4 Likes

I will never understand why people ask a million questions and shop for a baby when they don’t have the money. Ran into that last night spent an hour back and forth discussing a custom aternative baby, got everything settled and then_______ oh I’m on SSI and can only afford $50. Why are you shopping if you have no money.Myself if I can’ afford it ,I don’t shop for it. JMO Bump your price up and be patient, you’ll get a sale.

4 Likes

That would have irritated me too, @Shera1! Time is valuable, but people waste it like it’s nothing. “Why are you shopping if you have no money?” Is the million dollar question. They try to make it our problem by asking for payments and price reductions. It’s not right.

I’m fortunate in that my sales have been steady and that my finances don’t depend on selling dolls. I mainly want to keep moving because my doll room is small, and since it’s crammed with mountains of kits and baby clothes, there’s no room to store a bunch of completed dolls. :grin:

2 Likes

Maybe they enjoy the fantasy of what they would buy if they could afford it? Like window shopping? I don’t know

2 Likes

When I do that, I don’t bother people in the shops. That’s the difference. :rofl:

5 Likes

I agree. In fact I feel kinda guilty if someone is all, “can I help you?” And I like, “I, uh, oh! I’m just looking”. I sort of feel like I wish noone noticed me looking

3 Likes

How about this water mark!!! And baby comes from China!

This needs to stop.

3 Likes