What other forms of payment can sellers accept besides PayPal?

I recently sold a baby through a payment plan as the buyer couldn’t afford it right away…she got the baby and loved her then 3 days later she opened a case up against me! In the invoice I made sure to say the deposit and payments are NON REFUNDABLE yet PayPal somehow sided with the buyer…I was on the phone with PayPal 3 times and emailed them and sent them
Screenshots but they still sided with her…I’m pretty much done with PayPal at this point and them always siding with the buyer…I don’t even think they read anything because it’s clearly “buyer’s remorse” lol sorry for the long read anyways…what are some other payment options I can use? Also, I have bought a Reborns.com membership (bronze) 3 times and haven’t sold anything…is it worth upgrading to the $20/month membership?

1 Like

I have heard that PayPal sides with the buyer a lot, but how could this happen when you had proof that she received the doll and that she was happy??? Did you get your doll back at least?

Dave just said he added on venmo as an option on the reborns site, but I haven’t looked into it yet… I also heard that there was some way to process credit cards, but don’t have all of the information yet. Maybe it’s a good time to get back to researching.

About the membership levels at reborns, I mainly use the bronze one and do just fine. For the month of December, I switched over to gold, but strangely did not notice a difference in anything except the number of time wasting messages that I got, like those asking me if a baby had full limbs when it was shown in photos or if it was full body silicone ect.

My conclusion: Serious buyers will look carefully and find the doll they want, whereas people who are casually browsing will just contact whoever is located on the front page. When it is time to renew, it will definitely be back to the bronze membership for me.

3 Likes

I haven’t gotten the doll back yet and yes I did show proof and screen shots and talked to them and the person I talked to said it does sound like buyer’s remorse but he isn’t the one I charge of approving/denying claims…he said their prior is to protect the buyer first and in a case like this they just want to put both parties where they started out as ie me having the doll, her having her money…maybe I will try Venmo thank you!

1 Like

Don’t get too excited yet. I think PayPal owns venmo. Lol

I don’t understand PayPal at all. That is insane! And scary!

I am leaning towards trying to find a way to process credit cards. Not sure if that will prove to be better or not when it comes to stuff like this, but one can only hope.

2 Likes

Be sure in your description to state this a Non-Refundable Deposit or Payment for Reborn Baby Doll so and so. Always state the full amount, the balance owed, and make sure it is clear that doll has to be paid in full before shipping when doing payment plans.

I have terms and conditions as well that states “By going through with this purchase you are agreeing to the terms and conditions above” which makes it bonding.

I was told you have to VERY descriptive with PayPal invoices and such.

I hope she does the right thing and returns her.

2 Likes

Thank you Cierra…the PayPal dispute and claim team told me that once the buyer escalates the claim, my rules don’t mean anything (I put that it was non refundable in capital letters and that it was a payment plan) and they go by what they feel is right. The buyer comes first and as a seller I really don’t have any protection but yes I hope she does return it…in the exact same condition because once I sell a doll…I consider it “used” so I hope she didn’t do anything to it sigh

2 Likes

Have you tried Square?

1 Like

It really bothers me that PayPal issues refunds before the seller returns the item. :frowning_face: You sure couldn’t do that in a store.

5 Likes

The only time I have had an issue the customers bank is who filed the claim with paypal. Paypal told me that it is up to the bank not them, but they pass on all info I provide about the case.
They also told me that the buyer is able to file a claim for 6 MONTHS after purchase. I told him that it was a doll and the customer bought it in person and walked away with it… a lot can happen to a doll in 6 months that is out of my control. He agreed but still said they couldn’t do anything and to wait for the bank.

Thankfully the customer was a business and able to re-pay me the amount. So we let the claim filed go in favor of the buyer with the bank and made a new invoice and they repaid me before the time on the claim ran out.

1 Like

What in the world happened there, @jlesser? Was that buyers remorse or did they ruin the doll and blame you?

1 Like

It was a ROSE purchase and the bank flagged it due to being an out of state purchase… So the bank in Florida did not know the buyer was in Utah that weekend… with it being a business the person who bought and signed for it was not the person named on the card. They have a “buyers team”…

There was nothing wrong with the doll and no buyer remorse, etc

2 Likes

On etsy you can choose credit card option and pay pal also gift cards, etc… I have had only one problem before and it was an e check, no funds in the account to cover it. Luckily I wait to ship out my babies to make sure I have the money and I wait on the credit cards to make sure they don’t cancel the purchase after I ship…

1 Like

There is always Walmart to Walmart, but not through PayPal.

2 Likes

Can you tell me more re Walmart to Walmart?

1 Like

I would love to also know more about Walmart to Walmart I don’t have PayPal I heard stories of good and bad so I just nervous about that

2 Likes

I usually like doing things post office money order with tracking and insurance

2 Likes

Basically Walmart to Walmart works the same as wiring money thru Western Union. If you are the one sending money out then you go to your Walmart and give them the money and they send it to the Walmart closest to the person that is receiving the money. That person goes to their Walmart and shows id and I think the confirmation number and they get the money. And vice versa. Doing payments like that however offers no protection for seller or buyer.

1 Like

I was poking around on Western Unions website and saw this. Looks like people can pay with a card without being inconvenienced. Wonder what the fees are…

Nevermind!

Thank you-doesn’t sound like any way protects the seller except W to W or postal money orders. Even cashier checks can be forged. Most credit card companies also allow buyers to get credited back for little reason. It’s a scary place out there.

2 Likes