What is thinning medium exactly?

Hi ladies! As some of you may know, I’m working on my first reborn baby Sam. I’ve been following along with Kim from Custom Doll Baby thanks to several referrals from some wonderful ladies here. I noticed she uses thinning medium when mixing her creases color. I use air dry paints. Is this something I need or is this only for heat set paints? Thank y’all so much!!! I don’t know what I’d do without all your wonderful help and advice! !!

2 Likes

I only use GHSP so I’m not sure about air dry. Thinning medium is like your paint thinner but in thicker form. I usually use the medium for finger/toe nails, lips/tongue and creases. For the rest of the reborn I use regular liquid thinner.

1 Like

The thinning medium makes ghsp glide easily, great for fading the creases and shading to avoid harsh lines. Its got a runny nose snot like feel. I plan to learn how to use airdry paints soon so im not sure what they use.

4 Likes

@snuggle2me OMG I laughed so hard at your “runny nose snot like feel” comment that I almost peed myself!!! I have to agree that it is a perfect description of how it really feels!!! :joy:

3 Likes

Lol. Sorry about that… it was the first thing that came to mind hehehe…

2 Likes

Hahaha! I needed a good laugh :smile: I just face planted trying to run to my 15 month old stuck on top of the end table and arm of the couch. She had her hands on the end table, her feet on the couch, and crying. I tripped over the baby gate real hard and face planted. I’m laying on the floor almost in tears telling Sophia momma will be there in a minute :hushed::smile: I’m sure that was a sight :smile: Lol. Think I hurt my back though :confused: I’m sure I’ll really feel it tomorrow! Sorry had to tell someone about my adventurous morning :grin: Some days it feels like an obstacle course in my baby proof home! I really think it’s more like mommy daddy proof than baby proof! Lol :smiley:

6 Likes

I’m not really sure. I purchased them from New Beginnings Nursery. They only have the nursery name and the premixed color name written on them…

Maybe it’s similar to adding matte laq? I do add matte laq which helps to slow the drying process and help adhere to the vinyl. I think that’s what it does. Lol. I’m a newbie… :wink:

1 Like

Do you use the fx?

1 Like

Whew! My little one is down for her nap. I’m really feeling my fall now! :confused: Hope I didn’t hurt myself too bad! Talk about realize my age… Lol​:wink:

1 Like

Oh fun :grin: I bet you can’t wait!

1 Like

(…snot…EWWWWWW!) LOL

1 Like

Michelle I took your advice and took a little nap :grin: boy, it felt nice! I should be well rested and be able to work on Sam after my kiddos go to bed :wink:

1 Like

I hardly ever take a nap because I like to have some me time while Sophia naps but, it was well worth it today! :blush:

I use luminaire air dry paints and just thin with water. There is probably something I coukd add to make paint adhesion better, but I haven’t discovered that yet. ****

when you use the thinning medium do you still have to wait for it to dry completely before baking?