Victoria soft line vinyl

I will be excited to see them!

Is she painted with genesis. heat set paints I think it bengi boy and girl like twins I think I spelled the name right

1 Like

Yes I use genesis heat set

Thatā€™s great I have never painted them was afraid they melt so 8 minutes 265 I have had them since 2011 or 2012 you fill the limbs all the way up then put together

1 Like

Would you be willing to share your advice here? Iā€™d be interested to learn too. Where did you come up with the idea to use fishing lure material to fill a baby? Itā€™s genius.

Of course, always happy to share :slight_smile: I got the idea after seeing some people online using it to try to make ā€œsiliconeā€ babies because itā€™s so much cheaper and you can make it different colors, levels of firmness, etc ā€¦ and I thought I wonder if that would work to fill babies so their limbs donā€™t crunch anymore from glass beads! I researched it a bunch to make sure it wouldnā€™t harm the vinyl, found out it was a poly-vinyl. I bought some, filled a test limb, waited about 6 months, saw it had no issues and still felt amazingly squishy. I promptly ordered more and started filling any baby I was selling for more than $800 with it :slight_smile:

Here are my biggest tips:

1. Have hot pads handy, plastisol is HOT, the limb you pour it into will burn your hands. Also have a container for limbs to cure that will hold them upright securely.

2. Donā€™t fill an entire limb at once. I used it on a 7 month June asleep, I filled her entire limbs, put her limbs upright in a box so they wouldnā€™t fall over to cure. Her foot was slightly bent and the plastisol cured, you canā€™t get it out and her foot was stuck like that :frowning: Now I fill right above ankles and wrists, let cure and then fill the rest

3. Do not pour glass beads into the curing plastisol for extra weight, they all fall to the bottom and your stuck with a crunchy limb that you canā€™t fix

4. Wrap your limbs tightly with Saran wrap before filling, if you spill a few drops on the baby you will have to sand, scrape, etc ā€¦ to get it off as it fuses to the vinyl.

5. Plastisol starts curing quickly, if you use a funnel it will quickly clog, you can just pull the cured part out to clear the funnel and set it aside to use again later.

6. I like to heat it in the microwave in a measuring cup with a pour spout, it makes pouring directly into limbs a lot easier.

7. You can put your limbs in the fridge to soft set but donā€™t fridge cure the whole time, youā€™ll get moisture.

Those are the major things I can think of, but if anyone has more specific questions Iā€™m happy to share what I know :slight_smile:

8 Likes

What exactly is soft setting and why would you do it? Do you fill the head as well, or just the limbs? How much does it take to fill an average newborn kit?

Iā€™m sorry for all the questions, but this is fascinating to me.

3 Likes

Does it weight the limbs enough?

2 Likes

No worries! Soft setting is basically, like with jello. You can cool it a bit quickly and it starts to firm. Basically I do this to prevent spilling if the limbs tip over a little or something. Or to check if I need more as it wonā€™t be so full as it shrinks a little when curing. I put it in the head sometimes, pretty much if itā€™s a closed eye baby as Iā€™m worried it would spill out into eye holes. When filling the head it also seals hair excellently :slight_smile:

Iā€™m not sure 100% the exact quantity it takes for a newborn. But I bought this gallon, did a 7 month June, Lovelyn and a 3 month Joseph, and this is how much I have left.

So it can do quite a few babies, especially smaller babies!

4 Likes

Yes, especially if you fill them all the way. I had a bright idea to add glass beads to it so I could only fill half a limb and save plastisol. It was a disaster. If you fill the whole limb it weighs just a silicone limb would with a vinyl shell adding a little extra weight :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Great! Iā€™m so excited to try this! Thanks so much for the info!!

1 Like

Victoria and Ilse are both ball jointed so you wonā€™t be able to fill them all the way to the top.

2 Likes

Hi, where are yall finding the dolls that are made of that kind of vinyl?

irresistables.com Search for LDC reborn doll kits (doll dreams). They should say LDC on the listing.

Did this stuff work for faux silicone babies?

@jeanhai-are the LDC kits the ā€œsoft lineā€ ones? I never came across any LDC kits, wondering how soft the regular LDC kits are.

I should have mentioned that, Lovelyn had normal leg openings, so she was easy, Ilse was a nightmare. I really like it for regular reborns. I love the way it feels in the LDC ultra soft line, but it can be really tricky depending on the limb type. And I wasnā€™t able to fully fill the torso because of the openings.

And Iā€™m not sure about making full babies with it, if thatā€™s what you meant.I never tried, I saw some people make them but they never showed pictures of course. I have used it to make bellyā€™s and butts, just kind of jelly body inserts.

3 Likes

I love the idea of inserts for the body. No matter how I stuff it, the body never feels as real. How did you get the right shape for the tushie and belly?

2 Likes

I cheated :slight_smile: well sort of. I made a belly plate mold, out of the cubbiest belly plate I had, just with clay. Filled it with plastisol and cured it. It didnā€™t feel quite right in the body, so I just made a kind of belly shape clay mold, looked like a shallow bowl kind of and started using that. For butts, I did the same thing; made a clay mold from the butt part of a back plate and made the butt mold a little deeper and wider. Then I started making one butt cheek at a time. Iā€™m not a sculptor at all, so I just got the basic shapes in clay and then adjusted them to better fit in bodies through trial and error. We recently moved, but when I find my mold, etcā€¦ box I can post some pictures for you :slight_smile:

5 Likes

What kind of clay do you use?

1 Like