*UPDATE* Photo Heavy: My WIP on my very FIRST Doll

Update:

I’m done with all of my painting (I think). So, here is Juliet. So far I think she looks pretty good for my first Doll. Thanks for all of you guys suggestions and tips. I really appreciate it!!!

Original Post

Hey Guys,

So I’m in the final painting stages for my BB Juliet, and I’ve already asked my good friend who is a board member here her advice…but I would like a few other perspectives on what else should or shouldn’t be done for this doll.

Here are some pictures of my WIP. Other than Eyebrows, what else could be done? Thanks guys, this is my FIRST reborn. :blush:

12 Likes

I’d suggest maybe darkening her lips and some more blushing on the feet and hands

2 Likes

I’d blush the palms of the hands and the soles of the feet more, and maybe darken the inside of the nostrils a bit.
But she’s looking great for a first! Love the skin tone on the limbs!

2 Likes

Looking really good so far! I’m sure you’re excited to have her done so you can put her together and hold her in your arms! :blush:

I always hesitate to give advice, but since you asked, I’ll put my 2 cents in. :wink:

I agree that there needs to be more blushing on the hands and feet, and I would do some shading in between the fingers, toes, around the eyes, nose, ears, and mouth for definition and depth.

I would probably do a couple of thin washes ~ red, blue, and burnt umber ~
once you have the skin tones the way you want them, you can move on to nails and brows.

When she looks the way you want her to look, you can seal. And don’t forget to show us some more pics!

3 Likes

I was thinking more blushing on tips of fingers and toes but she is looking really awesome so far!!!

2 Likes

@kareninflorida @sharnieeeeee @EnchantedOrphanage Thanks guys for your advice!!! My friend @Estelle85 told me the EXACT same things you all did lol. I guess she was right lol. I should have said that this was just after my first blush layer. I know I have to do at least 2 more layers. At least my mottling is good lol. I didn’t want to make her too “rosey” but I want her skin to come alive. I have been pussy-footing all week and have not painted in days. I’m going to start right now!

Any tips on what colors tonuse for the nailbed? Thanks guys…so appreciate the tips and advice!!!

1 Like

I’m glad it’s just blushing and not a laundry list of fixes lol. Yea, I only did one layer of blushing so far…I will probably do 2 more

2 Likes

I was also thinking about opening her nostrils…that’s why I haven’t painted them just yet. I’m back and forth on it bc my personal Dolls all have opened nostrils. I’m still on the fence

As far as the face I would add more blushing to cheeks, add more color to lip (keep color sheer and use thin layers- chalkiness can be put biggest enemy if you use too much paint at once) and I’d add reddish pink around the rims of the eyes.

Add more blushing to feet and hands

2 Likes

I personally love the opened nostrils and always open mine, too. Your Juliet is looking good and a little more blushing should do the trick like the other ladies said.

2 Likes

All great advice

2 Likes

Thanks everyone!!! I just updated Juliet’s photos of her progress

1 Like

She is beautiful!

1 Like

Thank you so much! I hope I did a good job. I didn’t want to make a bad baby for my first Doll lol. I’m still not so sure. I want to be as close to perfect as I can get

2 Likes

I still need to gloss the nails

That one nice first baby, @HouseofDolls! Especially amazing when I think about what my own first baby looked like… a hot mess. :joy:

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy: I thought mine was going to look like a fright…but I took my time and asked so many questions. I know I’m on my way. Did you keep your first one? That’s what I’m debating now

2 Likes

I kept mine. Kind of a sentimental value really.
I tried selling her at first but couldn’t get a decent price. Decided to keep her around for a bit and try again later. Now she’s my forever keeper.
It’s really cool to see the process you made later on. Some people even paint the same kit several years later and take pics of them together. Wish I could easily get the kit of my first reborn. She seems to have been a limited edition.

1 Like

Yea I was thinking the exact same thing. I want to keep her for the simple fact that she is my first.

1 Like

Exactly. You don’t even have to display it all the time. Mine is nicely packed away in a box, but I can always look at her when I want to, or give her a cuddle. I used to think she was awesome, but now I see all her flaws. But it’s okay, she’s got a special place in my heart.

1 Like