Thinning medium versus thinner

I would like to know if it’s ok to use the thinning medium thru out the process? I feel like I have better control of the paint when I use it rather than the Loel Cornell odorless thinner. Is there a reason that using the thinning medium is not a good thing? The reason I’m asking is I saw tutorial that showed her using the thinning medium for everything. I should mention she then used the powders.

I used thinning medium on my last baby and I love it. But I only used it for lips,nails and creases.
I was told that it makes the baby shiny if you use it instead of odorless thinner, For the whole baby

1 Like

Yes, DC is right, the thinning medium can cause the baby to be shiny. Having said that, I did a baby like that and it wasn’t more shiny but the color came on FAST and that can be a problem. If the baby does get shiny, a final layer of Matte Sealer will dull it down. You can always try it on a test limb to get a feel for it.

1 Like

I use the thinning medium for the lips, nails and creases but not for the whole baby. I too feel that it gives more control for those areas but I’ve never tried it for anything else.

Thank you ladies. I have only been doing this a short time and I come to this forum to get help. I find this site the most user friendly and so far everyone is kind and very helpful. Thanks agian

3 Likes

If you use satin or matte varnish over the whole thing after you have painted, you will not have the shine that the thinner causes so you can actually use the thinning medium if you are more comfortable with it if you finish with the matte or satin. Authentic reborn paints from Secrist are basically GHS pre-thinned with thinning meduim and lots of ladies starting out seem to like them because they do not have to worry about consistency and the transparency of colour…They leave a shiny finish as well but if matte or satin is used, it doesn’t matter… :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing I really appicate all you guys so willing to help all the newbies. I learn something new every time I come here.

3 Likes

Since thinning medium can only be used at a concentration of 40% or less of thinner to GHSP to cure properly, I would assume it could be difficult to get the transparency needed for the blue around the eyes or mottling.
How could an artist handle that? Tone down the color with the flesh tone you are using? I’m not sure if it would do the job…

3 Likes

Interesting​:thinking::heartpulse:

1 Like

Thankyou for this information @bebe this is something I was not aware of.