Tell me about heating heads with lightbulbs!

So I have the Julia and Tristan kits by Jannie de Lange and while their limbs are wonderfully soft, their heads are hard as rocks and I’ve never needed to heat with anything other than rice packs… but rice packs are clearly not going to work with these because of how hard and large the heads are! I know I could use a wig, but I really don’t want to, I’d be so much happier if they were rooted!

How do people use light bulbs to heat the head? What wattage? Tell me all the things! lol

1 Like

I rooted both of those heads and it was not a problem.

I have bad hands(I can dislocate every finger and the wrists just by looking at them funny) and I typically break needles on BB kits. There’s no-way I can root these two heads the same way.

I bought my light on a German site. Im sure they have them on the US sites. I used it but don’t anymore after I found that its easier to root holding the Heavenly Illusion needles and hand rooting with no heat…even hard German vinyl. The needle holders caused my joints to pop out and I broke more needles. The trick is not to root for very long…I know Ive been rooting too long when I start stabbing myself LOL. Still working on ridding myself of an infection in my middle finger…its nearly gone now, we have this awesome medicine here that draws the infection out.

2 Likes

I haven’t tried the Heavenly Illusion needles yet so that’s really good to know. I struggle so much with rooting but I just don’t like wigs or painted hair so it’s worth all the pain to me. What sizes do you find you use the most? Personally I like the smallest needles out there because the rooting looks so good, but they snap so easily :stuck_out_tongue:

I know I’ve been rooting too long when I break several needs in a row(ugh), that’s right before I start stabbing myself :roll_eyes:

1 Like

This is the kind of needle holder I’ve been using.

I LOVE the Heavenly Illusions pink and black but if you break alot of needles try green. I usually need to replace needles because they are dull not because they break. I don’t use a needle holder. I bought a salt lamp cord and a 15 w bulb on Amazon for around $12. Get one that has a dimmer switch so you can adjust the heat. It really helps with hard heads. Just make sure it doesn’t touch the vinyl on the inside because it will melt it.

3 Likes

That is the same ones I was using but if my fingers are too far apart and I put pressure on them they pop out so if I hold only the needle than I can keep my fingers close together and everything stays in place…most of the time :wink: . I use the pink needles most of the time and I sometimes use the green ones. I used a spiral needle on my Saskia because I wanted thicker hair but Im not entirely happy with it…Im rooting some of the blonde over it and pulling hairs here and there now.

I’m having similar issues. Where can I find the Heavenly Illusion needles?

1 Like

I buy mine from the Heavenly Illusions site in Germany because I live in France. Im pretty sure they don’t only sell them in Germany though. I think they sell them at MacPheresons don’t they? Hopefully someone else will say where they buy theirs like @danidolly

1 Like

Yes I get my heavenly illusions needles from Macphersons. I prefer the pink ones!

3 Likes

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HeAvenLy-ILLuSioNS-VaRiEtY-PaCk-RoOtiNg-NeEdLeS-REBORN-DOLL-SUPPLIES/401685902874?hash=item5d8658761a:g:~9YAAOSwbYZXWO~i:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

1 Like

I bought the salt lamp thing and use 15 watt bulbs… we keep our house cold, summer and winter, so it really helps with the big toddler heads I do

2 Likes

Those look like I’d like them. I find I root better without a handle. I’m not so great with a handle.
I also read somewhere you can buy plain needles and put polymer clay on the ends and it will form to your grip. They say this helps too.

Macphersons

If you want to go to the trouble you can dip your own needles. They have a stuff that is made to dip the handle of tools in so you don’t get shocked. They sell it at Harbor Freight here in the US, I forgot what it’s called, it’s a rubberized coating.