Spot on her nose

So I was looking at the doll I’m painting this morning and noticed this yellow spot on her nose. She wasn’t touching anything and she hadn’t even been moved. The spot definitely wasn’t there before. Any idea what it is and/or how to get it off? She isn’t varnished or sealed yet so I don’t know what to do.

1 Like

Here is a picture without flash

1 Like

That is bug poop, unfortunately. I’ve been able to get marks like that off with thinner, depending on how long it’s been on the vinyl.

It’s only been there since this morning but I don’t think I have thinner.

Soap and water might work, hopefully.

1 Like

Okay. I will try that tommorow. Do you think it will be safe since she is painted with air-dry and not sealed?

That I don’t know, I use heat set paint. @anjsmiles is an expert on air dry paint, maybe she has some advice on this?

1 Like

Thank you for your help!

1 Like

You’re welcome, sorry I couldn’t be more helpful!

1 Like

Maybe some acne cream? I was able to get a large yellow spot off one time using it. I let it set in the sun for a couple of days.

Maybe try blending it in with some yellow washes? That may wash it right off :thinking:

Hold the phone, bug poop?! Is that a euphemism or do you mean literal poop from some kind of insect? How do you know??? Is that what causes all of the mysterious yellow spots? My mind is blown right now and I cannot believe nobody else is reacting to this bit of information. :exploding_head::crazy_face:

3 Likes

I had the same reaction as you !

Haha, yes, literal insect poop. I suppose it might be pee as well… I never knew what the spots were either, but someone on this board mentioned it was bug poop. I have since watched a bug land on a clean reborn part, and then leave a yellow spot behind after it flew away. I also notice more spots in warmer weather, when there are more bugs around. I try to keep my studio as bug free as possible, but with the door to my deck being opened and closed for baking it’s inevitable that some get inside.

5 Likes

:scream: Dang! I always keep my parts stored in my oven when I am not working (I only do one doll at a time), so it makes sense why I don’t see these ever on my kits. Wow :flushed:

1 Like

I reacted the same way as everyone else at first too. But I tried some water on a cotton pad and got most of it off last night. If it’s still there then I’m gonna try soap and water I think.

3 Likes

Seriously it is not literal bug poop. If it was it would show up before painting and baking. I had that on a Skya sculpt behind the knee and have seen it on other kits it is in the vinyl and usually shows up after baking because the heat brings it out. No bug stopped by to poop or pee .

1 Like

This is after I scrubbed with water and a cotton pad. Still there but not as bad.

2 Likes