Some of my early babies

i have been meaning to change my signature for a long time; finally, I got around to look through my photos and I came across so many, I could not make up my mind. The first year or so, I did paint from 7am till late at night

I thought I share with you some of them:

These were the very early ones made sometimes in 2010, the 2 little ones on the right were the ‘practice kits’ I bought to learn on.

Ebony by Margaret Mousa

1 Like

My 1st Luca, she was rooted with natural alpaca

and one of those lovely cheap Chinese no-name babies

1 Like

Riley:

Kylin by LTR, one of mine all times favorite kit;

another Luca

1 Like

Ilaria

Serene

and finally another Shyann, and that is all for 2010

Lovely and the dresses are vey fancy. I want the striped outfit on your new “siggy”!

— Begin quote from “pia”

Lovely and the dresses are vey fancy. I want the striped outfit on your new “siggy”!

— End quote

in those times people seemed to want these sort of dresses, and there were couple of dressmakers who were selling them as fast they could list them; some going for over $200! frankly, I am glad that is not the case anymore.

That stripey jumpsuit was great; I pinched it from the stash of baby clothes I bought for my granddaughter before she was born Wish I bought a dozen; these sort of jumsuits with bit of a leg just do not seem to exist anymore. I tried to cut down the long leg ones, but it always ended up looking messy.

They are all adorable & I love the outfits too.

It’s so fun to see each others’ babies. Love your sweeties. I wish they made real baby dresses like they used to. I miss those days! How hard is alpaca to root? I’ve tried mohair, human and llama so far. I really want some straight hair and debated using alpaca.

— Begin quote from “djjessie228”

I’ve tried mohair, human and llama so far. I really want some straight hair and debated using alpaca.

— End quote

the Alpaca was very difficult, it was such a fine fluff it was impossible to get just a one hair. It is lot finer than the finest kid mohair. But rooted thickly it covered the mess of my inexperienced rooting skills, and it looked lovely. Definitely not one for a beginner. Another minus was that the colours were not really like a baby hair. This one supposed to be ‘blonde’. Being so fine it tangled easily and the vinyl had to be just so warm to let it slip in and grab it. Too hot it did not hold and too cold it did not go in at all
The first doll I rooted I used my own hair and it was easier than mohair (although the head was hard as a rock)

— Begin quote from “CaliMel”

I looooooooooove your new siggy.
Those are early efforts (the pics)? Wow. They’re precious.

— End quote

Yes, they were all made in the first year. I did really threw myself into this hobby; I do not like to do things by halves But soon I realised that painting with artificial light can be problematic, I thought I am getting wonderful depth effect only to find that in natural light it looks hideous, and had to strip the kit next day. Similarly with rooting; I find that rooting with natural bright but dispersed light I get the best results. I do sometimes root at night the back of the head, about inch or 2 above the nape, but never the more visible areas.

1 Like

I am absolutely in love with your Riley!!!:heart:️:heart:️:heart:️

I :heart:️your Riley. Perfection!!!