Sold my first doll!

Congratulations!!!

1 Like

I was gonna ask the same I see So many people use it with the primary method? What are powders?

1 Like

OH my- now I need to know what the ā€œprimary method is!ā€ SO much to learn!

1 Like

Sheā€™s beautiful and Iā€™m sure it will help your aunt recover more quickly.

1 Like

Lol I felt the same its So much and so many techniques. I created a thread and got a great explanation from @AmyR777 search primary method vs flesh tones it will come up

2 Likes

Thank you! I didnā€™t even know I could search on this forum! This is so interesting! As a hairstylist, I completely see how it can work. A whole new style can be opened up, simply applying the rules of the colour wheel! Iā€™ve only tried GHSP so far- but in the futureā€¦

1 Like

Yes I tried to copy the link for you but I didnā€™t know how. Have u painted yet? Howā€™s it goin?

Hereā€™s the link to the topic that @BusyBeeNursery mentioned:

http://discourse.bountifulbaby.com/t/primary-method-vs-flesh-tones/53794

2 Likes

So kind of you both. Iā€™ve only painted with GHSP using the skin tones they have (and mixing those with some primaries to my taste, to date- but will be trying primary in the future. Will need to get a source for the powders however.

2 Likes

I build the skin tones using the primary paint colors. I donā€™t use powders but some do.

1 Like

What are powders? Why do people use them?

Some use the powders for creasing and shading. I never tried it. You can use the spy glass to search topics discussing powders.

1 Like

@cainchar and @BusyBeeNursery -

The primary method is basically using thin layers of primary colors (red, yellow, & blue) to build up flesh tones, rather than the pre-mixed colors. If you already know your color wheel youā€™re ahead of the game!

It works because complementary colors (opposites on the color wheel) mix & create neutrals/browns, the intensity of which is controlled by the transparency of the layers (more or less thinner added).

In this doll I also used some rich dark greens and blues in shading areas like the sides of the nosee. Everyone has colors in their skin that you might not expect- look closely enough and youā€™ll see peoplesā€™ rainbows :blush: Iā€™m sure @AmyR777ā€™s explanation is spot-on-- Iā€™m going to read it in a sec!

Powders are powdered pigments like soft pastels. Personally I would only use artist grade pastels like Rembrandt, Unison, Pan Pastels-- but some people use Coastal Scents eye shadows. I love Coastal Scents for makeup, but I worry about the other cosmetic ingredients in them. I have no idea whether it would eventually cause a problem- but I assume artist grade pastels, which are formulated to be colorfast and archival, would be better in the long term.

Powders are applied with a dry paintbrush and have to be set after youā€™re finished blending by applying a varnish over them. I use GHSP matte or satin varnish. I Iike the Rembrandt pastels at full strength straight from the stick. Pan Pastels are so highly pigmented and intense that they should be mixed with the Pan Pastel transparent medium.

All of these answers can be found here on the forum by searching with the magnifying glassā€¦because thatā€™s where I found them :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Iā€™m thinking about doing some blog/vlog tutorials over the summer, since Iā€™ve learned so much here and would like to give back! Stay tuned :wink:

1 Like

Thatā€™s incredible. Very detailed. Thank u

1 Like

Please be sure to let us all know if you do! Sounds wonderful.