So....the hair just LAYS ON THE HEAD, not rooted?!

yes its not one i plan to do again anytime soon… but it was a neat concept

— Begin quote from “Melinda”

Some of these comments about the hair made me a little sad! What if the artist of this doll read this post? Maybe she was really proud if trying a new technique or doing the best she could at making a reborn. If I was her and someone called my work pathetic I would be really hurt. The only reason I bothered posting this is as a reminder that we all have different abilities! I think we should focus on being supportive, helpful, and kind.

— End quote

Sorry, but I think one of the things we should also focus on is getting better at our craft. If she read these posts then she would know that her hair innovation was probably not the best choice, and she should either improve upon it, or* never do it again. Look, the reborn world is not a mutual admiration society. It’s a very competitive business for some, and unfortunately everyone who makes a doll that will disappoint a customer (and thus prevent them from buying another* doll - quite possibly mine) is worthy of comment and critique (and hey, I’ll take as good as I give - I welcome input). I’m not so fussed about her feelings. I know that sounds harsh, but it’s also real.

Some of these comments about the hair made me a little sad! What if the artist of this doll read this post? Maybe she was really proud if trying a new technique or doing the best she could at making a reborn. If I was her and someone called my work pathetic I would be really hurt. The only reason I bothered posting this is as a reminder that we all have different abilities! I think we should focus on being supportive, helpful, and kind.

— End quote

I disagree, when somebody lists a doll on ebay, or posts it on any other public site, people have the right to comment on it. We are all interested in “new” techniques, and have full right to discuss it. So what if she comes here; then she will have the chance to consider whether it is such a good idea to make her next doll like that. Although I think she might also get the idea that people do not like it by the fact that she no doubt has hundreds of watchers and no bids.

Oh I totally agree that people have a right to comment on it. My opinion is that people should be sensitive. It’s one thing to state that you aren’t fond of a technique…I think that’s totally acceptable. I just hate the thought of someone who was really proud of their work getting crushed by a comment that someone probably didn’t even put that much thought into. I’m sure there will be many who disagree with this though.

— End quote

I did not criticize the painting of the baby. I stand by my opinion of the hair. If the artist had posted a picture of how she had “done” the hair directly on the forum, I would have commented on a positive aspect of the reborning. It seems that most of the comments by forum members have been negative about the technique and maybe the artist will change it on future. Still no bids!

Oh I totally agree that people have a right to comment on it. My opinion is that people should be sensitive. It’s one thing to state that you aren’t fond of a technique…I think that’s totally acceptable. I just hate the thought of someone who was really proud of their work getting crushed by a comment that someone probably didn’t even put that much thought into. I’m sure there will be many who disagree with this though.

— End quote

I cannot see any comment here rubbishing the doll as such. To start with this particular seller is obviously very experienced reborner who has been doing it for many years, I am sure she does normally get very good price for her babies, I doubt if she would be crushed by our comments. Actually, I am sure she knows that it is not a good technique; if she does not and if she really thinks that that hair feels good and natural, then she really has a problem. So, she made a boo boo, if she listed the doll as such people would not be critical either, it’s when people try to pretend that something is wonderful when in fact it is not, that is when they usually cop some flack.

— End quote

Melinda, thanks for the reminder.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Pia, I’ve always liked your fair critiques.

— Begin quote from “LittleMama”

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Pia, I’ve always liked your fair critiques.

— End quote

Thanks.

I sent the artist a message via eBay because in another auction (with painted hair) the photos of the baby weren’t showing up. She thanked me for letting her know. I asked her about the hair she did on this baby and here is her response if any of you guys want to pick up on the technique. Sanding off the medium is an interesting concept. (My comment is at the bottom - her response is shown first).

*[size=14]Dear allenpia,

Hi
Yes, I thought that I would try something different and am actually really pleased with the result, as it feels lovely and soft. I did use thick medium to seal the hair, but had to bake the head for much longer than normal as you have to ensure that all the hair fibres and the medium are totally dry, otherwise white patches will keep appearing. Afterwards I actually went over the head with a very fine sand paper to remove some of the texture medium, which then left the hair exposed, but sealed close to the head. It was just something different to try ;0)

Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2014 08:02:02 -0700
To:
Subject: Re: Other: allenpia sent a message about ANGUS ~ ADORABLE BABY BOY ~ BY DOLLYDAISY #191202035171

Dear dollydaisy,

You are welcome. They are showing now. Cute baby and I like the painted hair much better than the “applied” on the other auction. Was that a new technique you were trying? I tried using thick medium on a rooted head one time. Didn’t get a usable result with that effort either.

• allenpia

[/size]*

How can it feel soft when it is coated with layer of goooo? If reborning doll means striving for “reality”, that is for doll that would be mistaken for real baby, then this hair is a big fail. I mean nobody, not even from 20 paces, would think that this is a live baby. Unless the hair was covered

Judging by the beautiful painting of the doll the artist’s have tons of ability. The technique or concept is a total failure! If this technique was to be successful then it would have to be very sparse hair that is laid out very carefully and thoughtfully. Even then I am doubtful that it would look realistic. No one is criticizing her abilities just this “new” technique,
Mary

— Begin quote from “babymamma”

Judging by the beautiful painting of the doll the artist’s have tons of ability. The technique or concept is a total failure! If this technique was to be successful then it would have to be very sparse hair that is laid out very carefully and thoughtfully. Even then I am doubtful that it would look realistic. No one is criticizing her abilities just this “new” technique,
Mary

— End quote

Inge did a beautiful job of rooting sparsely and then sealing the hair to the head last year, but has apparently abandoned the technique and is now rooting and painting only. Here is a link to the web page that was the first baby she used the technique on: http://www.realdreamwonder.com/gallerie … lerie.htmland here is a photo of a head that Inge did using this technique. I like the look, but I think it would not have a realistic feel either.

Looks great. It is sparse which is the only way to do it and not have a thick blob of sealer.I would imagine that this technique would take longer than sparsely rooting the hair with a needle.
The couple of “techniques” that I have seen on Ebay were ones where it appeared that the hair was unceremoniously blobbed on like a rats nest and baked.
Mary

— Begin quote from “pia”

Inge did a beautiful job of rooting sparsely and then sealing the hair to the head last year, but has apparently abandoned the technique and is now rooting and painting only. Here is a link to the web page that was the first baby she used the technique on: http://www.realdreamwonder.com/gallerie … lerie.htmland here is a photo of a head that Inge did using this technique. I like the look, but I think it would not have a realistic feel either.

— End quote

That would be a good alternative to painting, if the doll is going to be played with.