Side glance

I asked this in another thread but thought I would just create one for it. When doing a side glance baby, do you need to go up a size in eyes so there is less white showing? Or can you use the size that’s recommended? I have two I’m working on that I’m using German glass eyes, and I’m playing around with looks for them.

7 Likes

It kind of depends on the look you’re going for and how far to one side you want the glance to be. If it’s very far, I’d go up a size. Try both sizes and see which ones look the most realistic.

3 Likes

Thank you! Open eyed babies are new to me and honestly, I’d rather do sleeping babies for a whole lot of reasons lol! I really do love the look of a full side glance. Am I the only one who feels a little creeped out by a baby who is staring straight at me? It just looks - off somehow.

2 Likes

I don’t usually position mine perfectly straight. Even just a tiny bit up, down, toward the center, or a side glance (sometimes barely noticeable) makes a huge difference in the overall facial expression.

4 Likes

The trouble with that is you get one set, then the other one is off LOL!

1 Like

I ordered the recommended eye size for the baby I was working on with the side glance. The eyes kept shifting after curing sessions. I finally decided to stuff cotton in the eye sockets then insert the glass eyes…and they finally stated in position.

4 Likes

You put the cotton in before the eyes?

1 Like

Yes.

1 Like

I’m guessing you put the eyes in from the front?

1 Like

Yes ma’am. I use to cut the back out but that was creating too much work for me. Now, I heat the vinyl and insert the eyes from the front. I wear heat resistant gloves but they can get in the way…so burnt finger tips it is. :woman_shrugging:t4:

3 Likes

I use air dry so no heating :wink:

1 Like

That is a great idea! I would not have thought of that.

2 Likes

I insert from the front too. I find most of the time the eyes stay positioned better. Me and sharp objects do not get along the older I get.

2 Likes

Lol. Yeah, once I cut the entire back of the eye off :joy::rofl: it took forever to fix it! Never again! Through the front we go…

1 Like

I usually use full-round eyes when I do a side-glancing baby. I just find them much easier to get the positioning right and set than with flat back.

1 Like

That is good to know! Thank you!

1 Like