Should have known.....to goo to be true!

SO I was running low on sponges and found what I thought to be great deal at CVS, a big ol bag of sponges in assorted sizes. They’re made by CALA, so if you’'re ever in CVS and happen to see them…keep walking lol. A few in the bag are high density, but the rest are just regular ol foam that swells to triple the size with a few pounces.One of the wedges I used started out normal size…it’s now half the size of a kitchen sponge after swelling. What A Waste!!! CVS used to carry the large wedges that were high density and super non-porous, but I haven’t been able to find them in some time now.

Has anyone purchased the wedges from BB, are they they the foamy ones that swell or the dense kind?

1 Like

I never thought to look at the dollar store, I’m going to try them tomorrow. The one’s from CVS are amazing, they last soooo long, and I like that they don’t absorb the paint and swell up. For whatever reason they don’t seem to carry them in the stores anymore, only online. By the time I pay for shipping it’s like 4 bucks a sponge lol

Do you know what the brand is of the ones you get from dollar store?

2 Likes

I’ve heard about sponges swelling but haven’t ever had the problem. I’ve been getting mine at Walgreen’s and they are not very expensive. Sounds like I’d better stock up if places are phasing out the good ones!

1 Like

Or maybe I should try Walgreens. CVS was the only I’d been getting them from and because they lasted so long I wasn’t buying them very often. As long as they are in good condition I just wash them at the end of the night when I do my brushes and leave them dry…a just use another bunch of them then next day. I have no idea when they actually stopped carrying them in the store. The sale people seem to be from another planet and have no idea what they stock in store or even sale. The girl told me today that the lady who works in cosmetics was on vacation and there was no one else in the whole store who could help me or answer my questions lol. Sad

2 Likes

I put mine in a laundry bag the kind you get for washing hose and such and throw them in the washer, works great.

3 Likes

I get mine at CVS and love them…no swelling. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I got non swelling from Walmart but they are small.

1 Like

I have trouble finding the large sponges at all. For most purposes I don’t like the small ones. I purchased my last ones from Sally Beauty and they were expensive, but they don’t seem to hold up well and drop tiny white pieces of sponge on my work. I won’t buy anymore of them. I have bought some at Walmart and they worked well. My Dollar Tree doesn’t carry them. If anyone finds a truly reliable brand and store, will you please share. I am tired of this hit or miss buying. It gets costly after while and who wants cosmetic sponges to be an expense?

7 Likes

Hi ladies, I buy sponges all over the place. Some turn out to be really good and some not so much. I do buy them at Walmart in the craft section by the artist supplies brushes etc. they are hanging on a rack and are made by Lowe Cornell. They are small but good and I think they are about $1.98 a pack of 12. They seem to sell out pretty fast too. So when I am in there I tend to check and see if they have them and I always get more. They are small, I don’t see the good large ones too much at all anymore.

3 Likes

I find the larger wedges at Sally Beauty Supply. They make a nice mottle pattern.

1 Like

I didn’t realize the paint would wash out of them just with detergent. I’ve been cleaning mine with brush cleaner, then dawn…then letting dry. Your method seems much easier and cheaper than using my brush cleaner.

@AmyR777
Are they the Essence of Beauty brand?

@lynn
I’ve never seen any at my Walmart in the cosmetic section, never thought to look in crafts. The Walmart near my house is a small one and the big one in the neighboring community is gross so I try to avoid it…but it’s a huge Walmart, they’d probably have them there.

@honojane
I’ve gotten some of those Sally’s one in the past and they fell apart straight away. They were one of the little monthly specials on the counter so I just grabbed them to try. I believe there were only 6 or 8 in the pack, but they were horrible and pricey. I’ve got a bunch of errands to run today, so I’m going to check around for them.

Yes, that’s the brand, Tiffiny!

Maybe they sell them online which would make it a bit easier to get. ??

2 Likes

I got my Walmart ones over in beauty but each store manager or whoever my have different ideas where to put them .

1 Like

I wonder if cvs is changing brands or something. My last bag was the nice ones. I better go stock up on them while they have the ones i like.

2 Likes

I just wish they were double the size. And shaped like a box instead of a wedge. If I use the thick end to pluck out, i end up with a tiny square. The wedge side is too flimsy. Why the wedge shape anyway? I never really wore makeup so just curious.

Just went online to CVS and they say they have the Essence of Beauty large sponges available at my store. I will try to check them out. $4.99 for 30 so hoping they are as jumbo as they say they are.

2 Likes

OK …reporting back on Sponges.

@snuggle2me @djjessie228 @AmyR777
CVS sponges Essence of Beauty have changed their name to “Beauty 360.” You can still find the original red and black EoB bags online, but they will no longer have them in the stores. Once the inventory is depleted all future bags will have the new Beauty 360 name. The new jumbo wedges are still jumbo sized and they come in a 15 count bag of all white for $3.58 (they’re on sale for 2 for $6.00 right now) and a 30 count bag of multi colored sponges for $5.58. The multi colored ones vary in “jumbo” size.

A also found at Target store 3 different types of wedges (All are Target up & up brand and all sell for $1.94 for 32 normal sized wedges). The bags are almost identical with the exception of the trim at the top and logo. The LATEX FOAM version is light purple and the LATEX FREE version is dark purple. There was also a light blue version, but it was very very squishy, so I didn’t even bother to test it out. Disclaimer…I did something immoral, but since no one in the store could tell me about their products I had to resort to desperate measures. I took a wedge from each of the bags and dropped them in the melted ice water of my startbucks drink. Within a couple of minutes the latex free sponge had puffed up significantly, while the latex sponge didn’t really change at all and was more or less floating rather than absorbing. I bought the a bag of “floaty” sponges (latex foam) and will put them to the real test this evening along with the new cvs brand sponges.

Please excuse my very dirty work station

THESE…are the crappy super absorbent ones I originally got from CVS. Notice the wedge on the bottom with all the tiny holes. It will suck up all of the paint you just put down on your baby.

The oval, square and rectangle shaped sponges are super dense and non porous. They work great, but just oddly shaped for pouncing. Any suggestions on how they can be used?

6 Likes

Why don’t you cut those big ones into smaller pieces?

1 Like

Because they are flat they’re really awkward to hold on to. I’m thinking about stacking & gluing a few of the rectangle ones together and making a mottling block. Large holes on one side and small holes on the other; one inny block and one outty block, to cover more surface area especially on big heads.

3 Likes

Actually, I buy the wedges at Target. I have also been buying the wedges on Amazon in 6 packs of 36 each. They’re really nice and really inexpensive
Here’s the link:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003X1BMF0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_image_3&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
You can get 3 packs, 2 packs, or 1 pack each at 36 wedges per pack. I like them, they absorb just enough to not be too little or too much. I hope that makes sense!

2 Likes

@DDDolly I couldn’t find any in my dollar store today. We have a few different dollar stores, but I only checked one of them today. I’ll keep looking though.

@Sydster
Other than the dollar store ones, those on Amazon sound like the best buy thus far. Do they hold up pretty well?