Second edition Chase Brown

It’s when COAs are demanded for every kit that we have to stand back and wonder where the real problem lies. The knockoffs are not the problem. Those that are educated know them when they see them. The problem is fear within the community and a mistrust in sellers.

1 Like

It is upsetting that there are more scams sites now than there are legit. And with how quickly they pop up, I doubt we can ever be on top of them all.

When a limited, numbered luxury item comes with a coa, it’s just a little nicety that helps make the item feel more special and might make it more valuable for resale when it is “complete with it’s certificate of authenticity”.

It’s true that collectors can think that it adds value to a doll, or any other artwork.

It isn’t just about buying from an artist with a good reputation.

While it would be nice to have some paperwork from the company, does it really add anything to the item’s worth if it wasn’t a limited edition anyway?

But as I mentioned, if a coa was the only thing that proves an authentic kit, that would be the easiest “proof” to manufacture.

I think it is sculptors could provide to protect themselves and prove the kits are authentic. Especially with people asking for them once they’ve been scammed. Can’t educate everyone. Lots of first time artists will may buy illegal copies because they don’t know better. I’m starting to rethink even buying seconds of realborns because there is no COA so I could I prove it’s legit to a potential customer. Before I found bountiful baby I considered buying from Ali express. The price was about the same but Ali express took a long time to ship so I looked more into BB. Then I found the forum and got educated. But if I hadn’t I would be painting illegal sculpts never even knowing

2 Likes

You are proving my point exactly…fear and lack of education.

I understand the concern, My only issue is, a COA could easily be faked, much more so than a vinyl doll kit. How do you tell the Difference between a piece of paper and a copy of a piece of paper?:thinking:

2 Likes

Those that are in the business know which kits are copied and are usually familiar with what the COA looks like for a kit. It all comes back to knowledge. Scammers thrive on ignorance. As an educator, you can educate all. There are so many that are just lazy. They want things to be handed to them instead of taking the time to learn. Someone new trying to sell a fake kit or completed baby would be called out on forums. Lesson would be learned quickly.
Now, we have people not wanting to buy legit kits because they don’t have COAs with them. I have to wonder how many won’t buy Chase because of this post. So, we hurt the sculptor and the dealers over a piece of paper because so many have scared the community. Look how many Bountiful Baby kits have never had COAs. How has/will this obsession over a piece of paper affect their sales? If anyone doesn’t see that this is a travesty, I really am at a loss of words. It’s very sad.

4 Likes

A reputable seller would not. But if kit were sold without a COA, YOU could possibly purchase one without knowing.

1 Like

Alright everyone-
Just want to say- I don’t have a big issue with this whole situation. And I don’t get questioned on this because 99% of the kits I sell in fact do have COAs
(Other than maybe a second head cuddle baby, and in this case Chase Bonnie Brown)
Just thought it was weird the a Bonnie Brown sculpt didn’t come issued a COA since she’s such a big name in our little dolly world

Ok everyone that’s all I have left to say about this

Hugs
Katie

2 Likes