Saving for when you are good enough

Paint them! If you don’t love them, it is so easy to strip before sealer is used! The biggest advice I can give when painting a kit you love is take your time! Spend twice as long and focus on every little detail :two_hearts:.

2 Likes

I have Saskia, the most expensive for now, Lulu from BB, Presley awake and Maddy. I am just on my first baby.

1 Like

Stripping a kit is so easy especially with Winsor and Newton, yet I absolutely hate the process with a passion. I despise the smell and it tears my mood down having to start over. Especially for it to be the same outcome of needing to strip it again. I’ve stripped way more babies than I’ve completed. And I’m sure that every artist has to at some point, I just, hate it so much that sometimes I would rather (and have) leave the kit untouched or buy a new one and start fresh…or to not touch lol.
But on the other side, when It’s going well, It’s such an accomplishing feeling, it’s gotta be why despite all the times I think of giving up, I still keep coming back for more punishment :laughing:

2 Likes

I actually like it. Maybe I should start a paint stripping service.

4 Likes

Yesssss! I will happily send you my kits too often lol

I’m going to give it some serious thought. I’d have no idea what to charge, though.

2 Likes

I am right there with Corvin. I am really trying hard to convince myself that I do not need another one as backup…

1 Like

Let me know! I would keep you in business for some time :sweat_smile::crazy_face: seriously though, if you decide to, let me know!

1 Like

Believe it or not, I have never completely stripped a kit. I always just go for it and try to fix it in later layers. Worst case, I sell or give away a boo-boo baby. I have learned a lot with this philosophy, but it is definitely not cost efficient :grimacing:

1 Like

Someone call Ripley’s lol I don’t believe it lol. Your babies are so wonderful too, this expensive philosophy must be working well for you I’ll say! I’m leaking money with my methods anyway. Maybe I should try a different route :+1:

1 Like

Exactly

1 Like

I’ve been so discouraged by my varnish mishap that I haven’t painted a kit in weeks :tired_face:

1 Like

Same here. I never stripped a kit. Then I was reading about how everyone was stripping their kits so I stripped one just for the experience.

2 Likes

I have only stripped one head. It was because I didn’t like the color of painted hair on her skin tone and the way I painted it just didn’t look right either. Poor brooklyn! I have since learned to not make final decisions at night when I’m sleepy. I bake in the morning if it’s something I’m unsure of. But it wasn’t too bad knowing I only had a head to paint- the fun part anyway.

2 Likes

Levi was my kit, and then I realized I should just buy her and I fell in love as soon as she got here, I’m probably going to strip each of her limbs again and repaint each one individually as I’m not totally happy, but I think it’s really important to acknowledge that anything can be fixed. I jumped right in to paint Levi even though I’ve only painted one kit in like the last two years who I hated how she turned out. I figured I can always strip so why not try. And I love how she turned out, the only reason I’m Repainting her limbs is I don’t like how her feet turned out, one of her hands was over blushed, and the other got a rub that I can’t seem to fix unfortunately. And that’s just how it goes sometimes.

Literally, paint those kits you aren’t sure about. Just don’t root them, like anything not even lashes, it’ll save you a bunch of pain later if you decide to strip and repaint. Just wait until you’re confident you love them with that paint job and it feels perfect, then, then you can root them.

2 Likes

Small baby steps, I need to build up the courage to use the good erasers and socks first.

3 Likes

Socks?

How about the bras? I’m that way with yarn too. Tubs of yarn I’m saving for something special :woman_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

Oh ya bins of yarn and fabric too and if you want to knit something go out and buy a ball so you still have your stash. Even my kitchen spoons. Keep using the same old ones and save all the other ones.

It doesn’t happen with bras for me. If I find one that actually fits me properly I need to just wear it.

2 Likes

Lmao yes same here and what is the use of a bra if it isn’t useful? I wish I had the foresight to buy two at a time wash one wear one cause the tags wear out and it’s an ordeal to find a new one that “works” ugh

Yarn on the other hand must be saved and when I have a project I must purchase just the right yarn :wink:

3 Likes

I have Mary by Olga Auer I want to paint her as a portrait baby as me when I was a baby, but I just don’t have the confidence yet.

2 Likes