Powders

Ooooooohhhhh! Good idea!

I do not suppose you took pictures of what the damage looked like?

All my babies go to nursing homes ā€¦nearly 300 of them ā€¦ over 100 created using powders ā€¦I also have 22 dolls in our library that are loaned out to to N/H`sā€¦acute Hospitals (Where They are Autoclaved regularly ) and the community,
I have never had one come back with paint coming off from powders or paint !.. The air dry paints are also better than the genesis because they donā€™t go so shiny with use !

Some times they do come back with no hair because it has been rubbed off so now I paint hair !
I have worked with people with dementia for thirty years and have been using doll therapy for 25 years ā€¦ I now work as a consultant for "Alzheimers Australiaā€™ in the Dementia behaviour Management Service: team and see almost every day how the reborns work to address behaviours of concern. I have seen everything that can possibly happen to reborn dolls in the hands of a person with Dementia ā€¦loved but also destroyed !
this is the reason I took up reborning eight years ago because I did not want to use the Ashton Drake Dolls as they were unsafe !
I have been using the powders for four years now ā€¦the trick is to work them in well to stain the vinyl and a decent cure time after sealing is paramount !

6 Likes

DO NOT BRING your attitude upon me I have used powders forever since My mother taught me to make cloth dolls so It is not new. I used it on a reborn and it did not last. Just

2 Likes

sorry that cut me off. I understand why you think you need to protect this IDEA of yours but believe me I have used it before. I Just do not think that using them on Vinyl is a good idea. I have been reborning for many many years and do know how to cure a doll. I really donā€™t care what you think I am entitled to my opinion and will never use them again. I personally think they are harsh and lacking realistic coloring ā€¦You did not create Powders and they have been used in all different art forms. I would never use them again with vinyl because they donā€™t last. I donā€™t care how pure they are they will not withstand useā€¦ I commend you for working with People with Dementia however I live with it daily taking care of it day in and out as I live with my mother in law and take daily care of my mother who also suffers. I donate to nursing homes all of the time and would never take a chance on them again because from one artist to another they failed.

2 Likes

I do like the look of the powders for blushing and undertones. To me it does look nice and natural. I do wonder if the issue you had is related to using the powders in conjunction with Genesis products? I tried the Coastal Scents underneath Genesis paints and discovered the Genesis paint sometimes would rub off on those spots after heat setting. I then tried using them over Genesis paints before the final sealer and that seemed to work. The dolls I did them on went to adults who do not handle them roughly. I also tried using them on top of Genesis painted babies and then sealing them with an air dry sealer. That seemed to work the best to me if you are painting with Genesis. I am wondering if perhaps some of the powders are best suited to be used in conjunction with air dry products rather than Genesis? Just an idea.

4 Likes

Good questions!!!