Plasticil body?

It kinda thins out the limb… it’s flatter and not as plump.

2 Likes

Does the smell go away and also is it possible for it to compromise the vinyl over time?

2 Likes

I did a Levi and used plastisol in the limbs. I was horrified when it spilled all over the outside of the limbs by it came right off with no problem, no damage. I kept him for about 6 months because I wanted to observe how it held up. It felt great, it held up well but he had a distinct smell. Even his clothes had that smell once removed. A chemical smell. You had to put it up to your nose to smell it but it was there. I sold him with full disclosure of the smell. It’s too bad because the feel was very nice.

4 Likes

There is a very faint odor to the plastisol after it cures, but i don’t find it to be offensive or strong. None of my customers have ever mentioned it, and they love the feel and weight it gives to the baby.
Plastisol is a PVC-type coating in plasticizing liquids. At room temperature, Plastisol is a liquid; when heated or cured, the liquid turns to a flexible, rubber-like barrier. Commonly, vinyl is comprised of PVC, so they are similar compounds, in a different state.

4 Likes

I’ve been using it for a very long time, I’ve only had a lasting odor a couple of times, once when I used a cheaper brand and another time when I didn’t mix the bottle well enough. When it’s not mixed well enough prior to heating or during the heating process, or if it’s still slightly cloudy at all before pouring it causes a very slight curing issue and it will smell bad. It’s also important that you buy low odor plastisol.

I pour in several small increments and let it cure at least 24 hours in between and then wait at least 48 hours before assembling which also allows any residual odor to dissipate. I’ve sold Plastisol filled reborns to people that are very sensitive to odors and have never had a costumer mention any smell.

It definitely holds up very well over time, I have a test limb that I poured about 7 years ago that is still in perfect condition.

@PhotographyForLife It can change the vinyl shape if your not careful, it’s very very hot, it won’t burn or melt vinyl but you have to be really careful about how you prop your parts while the plastisol is cooling and curing, if you have a foot that stuck in a bend during curing it will stay like that. Think same temp as the second you pull parts out of the oven. I pour in small increments to avoid that allowing to fully cure before adding more and have them propped in the craziest things to keep them upright so Plastisol doesn’t spill out while making sure all parts are supported in their correct shape. If a part gets misshapen during cooling it’s near impossible to fix, well it’s extremely extremely difficult.

7 Likes

I’m happy to answer any additional questions anyone has :blush:

4 Likes

This is where I buy mine I buy 142, 242 and 342 which are all low odor. They are different firmness levels which I use for different areas or mix for certain effects.

https://baitplastics.com/product/bait-plastics-plastisol-one-gallon-choose-formula/

3 Likes

Thank you for all the info! So helpful!!! I’ll def be picking your brain. I am not a patient person so the pouring in increments would be difficult for me

1 Like

I’m not very patient either, what I usually do is as soon as I’m ready to start rooting, I start doing the small increments in the limbs every day or two so by the time I’m finished rooting the limbs are fully cured. The head though you do have to wait for after rooting

5 Likes

I am wondering how you position limbs for it. Seems to me they should be in the vertical position. Do you fill 1/2, 1/3, all limb?

And how much of that bottle is needed to complete one baby?

1 Like

Please tell me when you’ll have your next baby with Plastisol. I am curios to have it to see how it feels.

1 Like

I normally only do it on a le sculpt or if the customer wants it that way. It also works well for a cuddle baby as it adds great weight to the head, and adds another layer to help hold the hair in place.

3 Likes

Thank you so very much for the info!!! :kissing_heart: I’m seriously considering trying it. If it’s the same stuff that the jiggly fish lures are made of then I do believe I would love it :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

It really depends on how the limb is shaped, it has to be upright so it doesn’t spill but also needs to not have too much pressure on the foot or hand or you’ll get an unnatural bend or a flat area if it’s laying down with the flange up for some curved limbs. I usually fill a box with polyfil and towels, wrap them up and prop accordingly although sometimes that’s not best for the part I’m working with, so I’ll prop it other ways. I fill less than 1/4 at a time so I’m able to reposition as needed depending on what part of the limb I’m filling right then. But I do fill the entire limb, just not all at once usually in 4-5 pours depending on size and vinyl softness, etc…

A gallon will usually last me about 2 newborn size babies, sometimes more.

2 Likes

Thank you, it’s very helpful.

1 Like

I do have this video on my YouTube channel, it shows how a plastisol filled baby feels and moves, I have a couple of others also but think this one demonstrates it best.

6 Likes

Aww, seems like she feels wonderfully squishy!

I need one baby like that after NC show when I’ll have funds :wink:

So, how much of that 1 gallon bottle takes to fill someone like Alexis?

Maybe I should try it with small Sierra by M. Said, but I’ll have so much worries to ruin her after everything is already done :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1. How do you heat it? In a microwave? Do you have videos about that?
  2. Do you use fanner to pour it in?
  3. Can limbs just be hang in the vertical position while plastisol is curing, like artists do with silicon?
  4. What number would you recommend just for limbs? I assume 142?
  5. What do you use for body mold (to put it inside of the body?
  6. What do you do with the left overs after heating ? Can they be re-heated/ re-used or everything should be used at once?

Do you pour it directly in the limb or do you pour it into something inside the limb?

1 Like

Here is a post Emma made about it.

3 Likes

Aww, thank you so much! That post has so much info in it! I don’t know how I missed it.

2 Likes