Pet peeves

What are some of the things that bother you when looking at reborns? I see so many well done babies with bright pink or red lips and it drives me nuts! Lol The other biggy is pluggy-looking rooting. Why not take that little bit of extra time and do a good job. I’m a beginner and have so much to learn, which is why I’m curious about what you all look for.

I don’t like to see caked paint in the creases. Also very dark mottling bothers me,
Mary

There is so much, I do not know where to start In this moment, what I really dislike is so much blue that if that was living child it would be confiscated by the authorities. Some of the really very professional artists can get away with such exaggeration; if it is over the top but very beautifully painted it will still look good. The problem is that reborners look for their inspiration in work of other reborners, instead doing what any real artist does = look at the real thing. There are plenty of real babies everywhere.
And of-course, the pluggy rooting, paint caked in the creases, and white thick blobs on the tips of nails, and equally thick moons on all 20 digits, and lips looking like they have lipstick, too thick and dark eyebrows. And any paint that is not blended, and veins and blotching that are obviously painted, instead of looking like they are deep in the skin.

All of the above PLUS…sleeping babies who are posed sitting upright. ACK!!! Head straight, not turned to the side or anything…just sitting straight up! Sleeping babies do NOT sit straight up!!! Nor do they pet kitties or play with toys…OMG…

And the lipstick look…ugh…

— Begin quote from “Karen in Florida”

All of the above PLUS…sleeping babies who are posed sitting upright. ACK!!! Head straight, not turned to the side or anything…just sitting straight up! Sleeping babies do NOT sit straight up!!! Nor do they pet kitties or play with toys…OMG…

And the lipstick look…ugh…

— End quote

AGREED! Especially sleeping babies posed upright - and babies on their tummys with the head looking unnaturally twisted - ugh!

YES…as if the poor baby’s head is on backwards!!!

Constant pacifier pics or no straight-on photos. Overdone mottling and too dark of creases. Oh and CROOKED EYES!

LOL! These replies are making me laugh! I completely agree with all of them! The ultra white nail tips and moons really bother me too, as do the dark, thick eye brows. The other day I saw one with so much blue on the feet I thought it looked awful…and then I realized it was a REAL baby! I scroll through my FB newsfeed sometimes and assume they are all reborns. haha

Let’s see - lipstick looking lips, french manicures, too much blue, overdone scratches, unnatural poses, hair left too long, and auctions where they mix letters like ReBoRn BaBiEs!! gives me headache.

— Begin quote from “CaliMel”

I get a little creeped out (I hate to use that phrase since it’s so often used against dolls in general, but this is my feeling) at the newborn sleepers that are sitting up or made to look like they’re “crawling”. If my newborn had either done that I’d have run screaming out the door.

— End quote

Thanks Cali! I almost spit my drink out

— Begin quote from “mayberrybabies”

auctions where they mix letters like ReBoRn BaBiEs!! gives me headache.

— End quote

Yes, me too, I automatically skip those, could not be bothered trying to read what it actually says.

— End quote

What is the purpose of doing this? Annoys me too!

— Begin quote from “pia”

— End quote

— End quote

I think it’s supposed to eye-catching! To me it has the exact opposite effect LOL!

— Begin quote from “dothehokeypokey”

— Begin quote from “pia”

— End quote

— End quote

I think it’s supposed to eye-catching! To me it has the exact opposite effect LOL!

— End quote

Very off putting. Either all caps or cap the first letters. All mixed like that makes my eyes and head hurt. I skim right past and will not even open the auction.

You all have pretty much covered my list of pet peeves. I’m very quick to say…‘oh no…I hate those nails’ or 'does that hair look REAL?'
Reborns are supposed to look like REAL BABIES. If they don’t something is wrong.

Just thought of another one; when the hair comes out of the swirl and goes round and round in gravity defying spiral. I have been studying swirls of any baby I can get near, and none ever had a swirl like that.

What I can’t stand is the automatic red splotch in the middle of the forehead. Really?

As for the swirl or cowlick on the baby’s head, I agree that I don’t care to see the spiral effect and I also really don’t like to see the hair combed to take that effect. In other words, if the hair isn’t rooted in that direction, but wet & combed to create a swirl, it really never looks right.