Pens and Markers

Has anyone ever used special pens and such for veining, maybe for creases? Anything like that on the reborns? I have been wondering about this, and I thought you guys would be the best ones to ask!

I tried a blue prisma pencil for veining on my Jaycee. At first it looked great. But it kept getting darker and darker. I couldn’t get it to fade. So she’s kinda going to be a boo boo baby. Here’s a picture. You can see the veins on her forehead.

On another note, I used a berry colored prisma pencil to make capillaries on Ethons cheeks. It turned out great and still looks perfect.

5 Likes

That is one of the things I was wondering about. If it would continue to darken. Also, I am sure you did, but did you have it already sealed before it became darker and darker?

No. I hadn’t sealed it. And I wasn’t finished painting. So I had to bake it several times after that…but before baking, I stripped the kit. Even the stripped kit continued to get darker. On Ethon, it was a last step and I sealed it right after. So the only baking was the 3 times for the varnish. So maybe that helped. And also maybe it helped that it was on top of a million layers of ghsp.

1 Like

I use the prisma pencils on capillaries, and nails. Occasionally on lips

Of course hair and eye brows

I use a light cerulean blue prisma premier marker for viens. I do it very lightly and immediately blend with paint thinner when needed

8 Likes

Would you be willing to let me know what colours do you use for nails? Its one area that Ive been working on lately. I use prisma for eyebrows, in the past Ive had serious problems with eyebrows, now they look ok, still need work but much better.

1 Like

raspberry
tuscan red

there is also one that is like black raspberry or something but harder to find

3 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

NO WAY would I sell that as a boo-boo baby! She’s beautiful and sometimes scalp veins are very visible.

6 Likes

Her veins dont look bad at all!!! I have seen lots of babies that had very visible veins around the forehead and temple areas. Edited to add by babies I mean real babies as well as reborns :heart:️

4 Likes

Thank y’all! That helps. I started rooting her hair and as always, it’s thicker than I planned. Gonna take a lot of time. I don’t want to have to sell her cheap. :wink:

3 Likes

What you’ve done of her hair looks great.

What about the acrylic pens and fluid paints from Golden? @AnnieSokay?

I have never used acrylic pens. And I haven’t used Golden fluid paints I think that is @RebornsbyZebra who uses and loves them. But I hear awesome reviews about Golden. I went from Waterborne to Liquitex. I was going to try Golden next but have decided to try Ultimate Fusion instead.

2 Likes

How do you like the ultimate fusion? I mentioned you because of the Derwent pencils.

1 Like

I haven’t bought any yet I am waiting till they expand their line. I love my pencils though! I think blue is the wrong color for veins. I would use light blue or a greenish color. I haven’t done very many realistic babies lately.

1 Like

I like a light blue or a greenish blue. Ethnic babies or Olive Caucasian babies have greenish or purple veins. What are you working on right now?

1 Like

Christmas Challenge and a few Christmas babies. I am sworn to secrecy! :speak_no_evil: After Christmas I will be doing another Challenge and a couple of keepers, including the Wolf! Maybe we should start a Thread to see if anyone else wants to join us, to begin in late February early March.

2 Likes

I have read that it is more natural for some babies to have the greenish veins and others to have the blueish veins. I think it might depend on the complexion you are going for. Now, some of the really experienced folks can let us know if I am correct. But as far as I know that is how.

2 Likes

The pens are empty, you fill them with paint and airbrush medium. I have some but I don’t really use them very much. I still paint my veins with a tiny brush and I use Panpastels for most details, other than eyebrows and nails are so tiny that the pencils would be helpful.

3 Likes