Painting over air dry vanish?

I was wondering if it was possible to paint with Genesis over Americana soft touch varnish? I have some stains that came out almost all the way on my Teegan Lau but it also took off a little paint so I decided to just fix her up a little over-all. Is it possible?

3 Likes

I just did it ~ worked fine. Then I revarnished with Americana, and it’s fine, too.

5 Likes

I have, yes. Works fine.

2 Likes

I did it many times. And you can bake it with no problems.

2 Likes

Great! Thanks!

1 Like

I’ve wondered about this, too. Good to know!

Do you like the American soft touch finish? I just did a whole batch of babies because I scored two lovely jars of the good purple stuff. I kinda like the satin finish, kinda dewy but I usually really matte my babies, do you think it will put people off? I know shiny is a turn off but overly matte can sometimes look dull to me, especially painted hair. Cierra’s babies always look soft and dewy, I love the effect. What is your OPP?

I loved Genesis varnish, and I would mix it half satin, half matte but since that option is over, I am now using Americana and it’s fine. Just fine…nothing special, I’m not thrilled with it or anything, I used Angie’s cornstarch formula so it get really matte, let it cure for a couple of weeks before assembling. Sometimes I bake it, too, just to be sure because I am not an air dry user and curing seems like it’s not enough, but that’s just me. I don’t like the way it mutes colors, though; maybe there’s a solution to that, I don’t know.

2 Likes

I am afraid of the cornstarch for some reason, it doesn’t feel stable. I should try it. I like the way the American feels, its soft and velvety, remember how matte can be a bit rough? but the Americana does have a bit of a sheen. I did notice that when you wet it (rooting or conditioning hair) it will turn white, it does dry clear again, but it will always be water based paint. I don’t want people to freak out about it.

I think I will throw these babies in the oven one more time with the air dry varnish just to be sure we are nice and cured.

Almost done with this batch, fingers crossed people like the varnish.

Thanks

1 Like

I know you didn’t ask me, but I wanted to share my experience anyway. I use @anjsmiles 's recipe of Americana with a cornstarch for almost 4 years now. I have several keepers with it. Nothing happened to them. I also don’t think it mutes colors more than Genesis varnish. I love Americana and dislike everything about Genesis varnish.

I recently got a baby from @RosieCait with AK varnish and that has such an unusual feeling of silicon to me, if you want to try it.

3 Likes

Good to know. I don’t know what my issue is with it. I know some people matte silicone with powdered sugar…there are all kinds of ways to get a job done right?

I love glossy varnish on a painting, it brings color up, created depth. Just wish there was a way to do that with satin or matte.

Thanks for the info.

1 Like

I 2nd everything you said. Americana with cornstarch is all I will ever use and my customers love the feel.

4 Likes

Ok, now I have to give it a try, next round of babies for sure.

3 Likes

If you do it by the recipe and dissolved cornstarch in the water, you will not even know that it’s there. But if you like glossy sheen, I guess you can use it without cornstarch.
I just don’t like shiny babies. I don’t thinks that my babies with Americana + cornstarch look dule ( not sure if I spell the word right) at all.

I have a feeling that it sounds like deja vu, we already had this conversation, @Gabriell :joy:
I am not trying to convert you :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes

No, I appreciate it. I was nervous but I am feeling more confident.

1 Like

I hate it. No matter what I do it’s shiny for me. I varnish my kit and it ends up shinier than before I varnished. I also don’t really like that it doesn’t give my skin any texture look at all. I mix my Genesis varnish so it’s not rough. You can tell there is something there but it’s not like sandpaper. The air dry is too smooth.

1 Like

I get zero shine with the added cornstarch. And I like the smoothness, no texture for me. Silky smooth baby skin fan!

3 Likes

Cornstarch has worked great for me in the past. You just have to make sure your cornstarch is really well mixed in and that you don’t use too much. If either of those happen, you will end up with chalky residue that pops back up even after wetting it down to try and clean it off. Just do a test patch on an old part or something to find your perfect mix ratio. :wink:

1 Like