Painting my first (pic heavy)

Thanks for all your help everyone! I plan on going to the craft store after I get off work and getting some thinner.

I am currently shopping around for a second kit. This website isn’t bad, it may be a seconds of Easton (I know she is big) or Landon Awake since he is half off.

And I have already baked and I do have acetone, but I may just keep him the way he is and use the hints for my next doll kit.

I am telling you all that this hobby sure helps me not search on reborns.com all the time lol for new babies.

@Gabriell, I can’t wait for your new series! I feel even tho there are plenty of videos, there need to be more, lots of them leave out detail, or do not always use genesis, or the next parts of the video are all scattered and not in a playlist so you’d have to search.

@YelenaRey, I think I seen some of her videos and they are amazing. I admit fault and I may had scanned past some parts, lol, maybe even the thinner. But yes, I will remember now to get it down to it being like tea or coffee.

3 Likes

Seconds on BB right now more expensive than Discounted Kits section. Looks there fist as they have 50% off
https://bountifulbaby.com/collections/deep-discount-deals

2 Likes

Im glad you got lots of help and advice. I use air dry paints so I would not have been as helpful :wink: . Other than the paint not being thinned enough it looks like a great start.
I use painting as a form of therapy as well. I have anxiety and chronic illness…its far better than sitting in a therapists or doctors office :wink:

@YelenaRey - I have been going through them and the only deep discount that I do like is Landon awake. Not too in love with the rest. I wish I purchased the other day or two ago when I saw Leif or something. I forgot to buy them when I got home. I may do Landon Awake and/ or Bean to last me a bit.

@RebornsbyZebra - yes it is far better than sitting in a doctor’s office or miserable at home. My mind has never kept so busy and the afternoon passes by to where the next thing I know, it’s time for bed and I forgot to eat dinner. I do want to use air dry some time, but I may stick to genesis since I probably do need more forgiveness. I tend to take forever with painting.

2 Likes

@913gigi44 Hi Gigi, I forgot to mention that before you would apply that watery paint mix you need to steer it REALY REALY WELL EACH TIME before you apply it to your poncing wedge as Genesis paint has tendency to separate. Good luck for your second baby! You can post your WIP pictures here and ask for directions as you go. That way if something will go wrong, you will be able to correct it right away. Just don’t bake anything that you don’t like. If you don’t like the layer, you can take it off with Gamsol, but only if that layer was not baked. I hope it helps.

This is a great tutorial, even for beginners. I have used this several times over the past few years. She uses a few pre-mixed colors in it but you can mix the colors on your own and add more odorless thinner to them. Always mix GHSPs with odorless thinner, like Mona Lisa or Gamsol. Just using the Genesis Thinning Medium makes a caky, pasty mess when it comes to washes and creases. You want to add each skin layer in very thin, light layers to build up the skin as you go, for a more realistic effect.

http://andreasdreambabies.com/ghsppaintingtutorial.htm

1 Like

@YelenaRey - that is a good idea to post pictures of my next kit on here. I will for sure do that. Thanks for being super helpful! I see there are some new kits up for sale today, just need to find one I like. I really want Reese lol. :frowning:

@InfantInspirations - That is a wonderful tutorial! I just looked over it! I see Mona Lisa for Amazon Prime, I may just go ahead and get that.

2 Likes

Practicing my first painting with air dry paints. I am trying to tone down blue wash with a warm tint. Thank goodness it is a test part. I have a lot to learn.

Added a blush layer to test part,

@913gigi44 Soon you will find that you have too many kits :joy:

I feel I already do have too many kits (Maik, Keiko, Gannet, Camilo, Eleanor, River - Alicia Toner). I want to save money and paint one of mine I have here, but it burns when I see bad paint jobs on limited edition numbered kits. I have Lavender in my cart now. I probably just stick with her.

1 Like

I stripped my test parts and now going to try and paint my Lavender kit. I hope I do better than on my test parts. :disappointed:

Added veins on Lavender.

Just remember that blue paint really grabs vinyl. You don’t need a lot. Use very thinned out layers of blue and apply them in separate layers a little at a time.

Thank you I really appreciate your help.

1 Like

You did the best you could with what you knew to do and the baby looks good for a first. Why not keep it and give yourself something to look back on to see how your technique improves? Stripping a kit is tortuous and has never been worth the effort to me. Once you start using thin layers of different colors of translucent paint you will see a big difference. And with thin layers you probably won’t cause any issues that need to be stripped. Good start, keep it up!

1 Like

Good idea!

Thank you for the advice. I just rubbed with rubbing alcohol and it worked great, I have added veins, blue wash, blush, light flesh, dark flesh and purple wash more to go. It is so much fun even making mistakes.

2 Likes

@Evee - your baby looks beautiful! Wonderful job!

With mine, I am currently rooting it while I wait for my new kits I bought today. It’s a decent root…I tried doing a swirl in the middle but I think I failed at that because I rooted too heavily at top. He is slowly making progress though…

It is hard not to paint Ethon while I wait (don’t want to cause he is sold out now), so I am sticking to rooting to help my reborning craze until the kits come.

I am so glad I waited! I got Reese and Leif which I been really wanting, Bean, and I may go back and get June awake.

Thank you. I am realty going to need help and advice along the way. I am scared to get to rooting hair. I see so many beautiful babies with gorgeous rooted hair. I don’t think I will be very good at painting the hair. I am partial to rooted hair.