Paint Thinner- Migraines?

I think the odorless paint thinner that I use with my genesis paints may be contributing to my migraines. I’ve noticed that they occur more often when I’ve been painting a lot. Has anyone else had this problem? Were you able to find a thinner that was more gentle, and still worked well? I really don’t want to switch to air dry paints. :confused:

1 Like

Do you bake in a ventilated area? I think the few make me feel yucky,

1 Like

I do, but that’s a little different. I think it’s actually the paint thinner, that I mix with the paints, so I’m always breathing the fumes while painting. I thought maybe there was another brand that wouldn’t bother me?

1 Like

Oh hmm. I’m not sure. Sorry :confused:

1 Like

I get migraines, too, but use Mona Lisa thinner with no problems. What brand of thinner do you use?

4 Likes

Thanks. It’s something generic from Hobby Lobby. I will try the Mona Lisa, and see if it helps. :smile:

3 Likes

I have that issue. I try to open the window and keep some fans on. What kind of thinner do you use? I use mineral spirits, you can also get odorless thinner from Amazon.com

Hope you feel better soon!

2 Likes

I want to try Gamsol next; I’ve heard great things about it.

2 Likes

I’m so glad you mentioned this! A guy at the art store sold me on this a few weeks ago, but then I didn’t know if it was okay to use for reborning. Now I’m excited to try it! :smile:

2 Likes

Gemini Masterpiece was what I was using before. Have you found any relief?

1 Like

Ive been using gamsol. Remember to take your coupon when you buy it from hobby lobby :slight_smile:

3 Likes

And it works great for AA skintones. No chalky babies :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@AmyR777 gamosol and sansodor are awesome, you can blend so much easier and better than with ML or any other OMS I’ve tried before.

2 Likes

Yes, actually. I used mineral spirits as well as stuff my father uses in the garage. I have tried odorless thinners and have found that I get less headaches from those. I also try to light a candle when I’m using thinners to deter the smell from the nastiness of the thinner. I would try some odorless thinner to see if that helps.
I hope you feel better soon and I hope my suggestions have been at least a little helpful.

1 Like

Is there a Hobby Lobby near you, Carrie?

2 Likes

Yes. Its in Bradenton. About 10 min away, a little longer since its that time of year, snowbirds :wink:

2 Likes

I would crack open a window while painting and use a ventilation fan when working if possible (I paint in my kitchen and use stovetop fan). I use Mona Lisa. [quote=“Sydster, post:15, topic:32162”]
I also try to light a candle when I’m using thinners to deter the smell from the nastiness of the thinner.
[/quote]
Be careful! The liquid and fumes are flammable!

2 Likes

Hmmm, we may have to have a field trip to the store. :wink:

3 Likes

Um …we also have another one in Sarasota too :slight_smile: hehehe :slight_smile: Road trip!

2 Likes

Sansodor (translated means "without odor) stinks and makes me nauseous and caused headaches. It really has an odor. Gamsol does not bother me and I use it for most of my painting. It flashes a bit slower and is great when using flesh colors. I think there is at least one thread that talks about it.

1 Like