Paint dissolving on kit. Anyone seen anything like this?

I use that tile and glass as primer, as first coat. used it for about 6-7 years now, never a problem

1 Like

I used it and it peeled the off after a few months - Liquitex and Waterborne. But, I have not tried the outdoor version, that may be better. It may work with GHSP, I don’t know anything about that. But as you see you have to find your way because what works for one person does not always work for another.

1 Like

I used the Glass and Tile Medium many years ago and had no issues with it. However, I have gotten mixed reviews in recent years and some do complain of peeling with it. Not sure if it is a compatibility to certain vinyls or certain paints or both. Regardless, I no longer recommend it. My favorite primer is the RebornFX primer and my second choice is the Golden Fluid Matte Medium as a primer. I have recently experimented with the Jo Sonjas All Purpose Sealer as a primer and it works fairly well but does leave a little more tacky feel initially. I have not tried heat setting over the Jo Sonjas one but the other 2 I mentioned have both worked beautifully with heat set products.

1 Like

I have read others who use it and do fine with it but it is not my preference due to the gritty feel. Very hard to paint over. I stripped mine back off the one and only time I tried it. Not sure how it holds up the long term. So I do not recommend it but I mentioned it as information for anyone who wants to try it.

2 Likes

Here’s the update on my Joseph:

I saw even more spots where the paint disappeared today, so definitely can not be my brushes. I now have a box full of XL test parts. I just didn’t have it in me. :rofl:

I am sorry you are experiencing this with your kit. Sadly, I am also going through this too. Stripping and washing twice didn’t help either. I was painting it yesterday and literally watched the paint “disappear”!!! :astonished: I am sad also because mine is 7 month June awake and she’s not a second kit, not that it matters. I might try one more time or do as you have and dump it into a box for test parts. Goodness know, I have tons of those. :rofl::rofl:

PS: I am using GHSP and I tried mixing the paint with thinning medium yesterday (2nd time), still disappeared. :frowning:

I’m sorry as well! I wish for both of us it had been a small, cheap BB kit instead of these big ones. I sure hope you can salvage yours… I am painting something else right now. Too traumatized to look at big Joe right now. Lol

If you figure out what happened, please do update us.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like