Need your input for a newspaper article!

So, I’ll be doing another big interview soon for another daily newspaper. But this time, I’ll need your help and stories.

Since I’m the only one in Croatia and my region doing reborns, the media attention is great, and I try really hard to present reborning as a positive and fun hobby. There are, of course, those who think dolls are creepy and from horror movies. I’m here to prove them wrong! Since there were already two great articles, the people’s opinions started to change, but there are still those who don’t have the faintest idea of what reborns are.

The journalist asked me some great questions, and I’ve gave my honest opinions on them. Said that painting dolls is my hobby, that they have various uses from film to toys, that there are people who find comfort in having a memorial baby and that there’s nothing wrong with having a hiperrealistic doll. Also, I’ve said that having a reborn doll is like having a 3D portrait, only it’s not hanged on the wall, but more interactive. Also, that I don’t look at them like real babies, but nice looking things that can have serious artistic value.

But, I’ve stuck on one particular question.

WHY DO PEOPLE COLLECT REBORN DOLLS?

I’m not a collector. I enjoy the whole process, I love bringing a doll to life, but I don’t give them names (unless for auctions), I don’t take them to walks, or drive them in the back seat of my car. I don’t have a “nursery” with little beds or closets full of clothes for babies. I usually don’t call them “babies” but “dolls”. I don’t rock them, or talk to them, or hug them when I’m sad. I don’t even have
them displayed in my house, and I show them out only if there’s a creative fair somewhere.

So, I need your input on this. What has drawn you to reborning? Why do you collect dolls, and if you do, what do you see in them? Do they remind you of someone, or you like them because they are pretty? If you do take them out with you, why do you do it? To show them off, just for fun, or some other reason?

I’ll appreciate all your opinions, regardless if you’re a collector, a reborner or both.

Thanks for looking,

Martina

wow…I’m not a collector and only have one so far that I am keeping and right now he is wrapped up and laying on a shelf in my craft closet…so I’m not the one to help you but we have gals her with room/s FULL of beautiful baby furniture and babies everywhere. I can’t wait to read your next article!!! Thanks for being such a great representation of us in your area!!!

Thanks, Cindy! I’ll do my best! It was quite refreshing when that last article got published, and most of the comments in the online version were: “You go girl”, and “Great skill” and such

I was very bitter before that, because the editor of the TV show who also made a segment of my reborns insisted that they put the “bizarre” highlight on the whole story. Made me look like a creep. And what’s worse, they’ve shared it online, ad every other news portal copied it with the same title: “They buy babies resembling their dead children!”. Agh!

But enough about that! I’ve managed to sell my first two dolls since that last article, so finally, people are starting to take them seriously, and have forgotten of that awful segment
I’ve got about 10 finished reborns, and they’re all in my closet now. Since me and my BF are living in a tiny, tiny apartment, if I took them all out, we wouldn’t have anywhere to sit LOL

Well, I’m not sure if I qualify as a collector, since nearly my entire collection of dolls is pictured below (one reborn is on the floor out of view), but I do love my dolls. Anyway, having been a reborn artist selling at doll shows and making friends with many collectors, I think that these dolls represent the innocence and beauty of children. They fill a void for childless young women, and for older women whose childbearing years have past, these wonderful dolls carry us back to those joyous days, when the kids were little. I know that I love children very much, and although my dolls cannot compete with the “real” thing, they do make me smile. Not all reborn doll collectors cuddle or treat them as real babies. I don’t pick mine up at all, except to rearrange the poses.

— Begin quote from “KJ”

Well, I’m not sure if I qualify as a collector, since nearly my entire collection of dolls is pictured below (one reborn is on the floor out of view), but I do love my dolls. Anyway, having been a reborn artist selling at doll shows and making friends with many collectors, I think that these dolls represent the innocence and beauty of children. They fill a void for childless young women, and for older women whose childbearing years have past, these wonderful dolls carry us back to those joyous days, when the kids were little. I know that I love children very much, and although my dolls cannot compete with the “real” thing, they do make me smile. Not all reborn doll collectors cuddle or treat them as real babies. I don’t pick mine up at all, except to rearrange the poses.

— End quote

Thank you! I like the way you think

Thanks Martina for allowing us to contribute to your article. First I certainly don’t consider myself a doll collector, however I do have a “collection” of unfinished kits! I will probably keep some of the finished dolls because I like them, but primarily I do this because I am a creative personality and enjoy bringing them to a finished state. I do not look at them other than dolls, and do not take them for walks, etc. – I also don’t “name” them - unless it is in pure fun. For instance if I have done a particularly poor job - I might call it “Homely” (hah!) but no, I don’t think I go overboard. I simply enjoy the creativity. I also call myself a hobbyist, not an artist.

The reborns are not my first doll hobby – I used to make cotton dolls and had an embroidery program to create doll’s faces. I have also knitted toys & doll clothes most of my life. So, this is just the latest in my new interests to create something unusual and different.

I would enjoy being one of the lucky people who are able to market & sell them but the economy is such that I don’t count on it for a living and so that is why I consider this a hobby for me. I love to make things and love to see the pleasure on someone else’s face when they get to appreciate my work!

— Begin quote from “Ginnylee”

Thanks Martina for allowing us to contribute to your article. First I certainly don’t consider myself a doll collector, however I do have a “collection” of unfinished kits! I will probably keep some of the finished dolls because I like them, but primarily I do this because I am a creative personality and enjoy bringing them to a finished state. I do not look at them other than dolls, and do not take them for walks, etc. – I also don’t “name” them - unless it is in pure fun. For instance if I have done a particularly poor job - I might call it “Homely” (hah!) but no, I don’t think I go overboard. I simply enjoy the creativity. I also call myself a hobbyist, not an artist.

The reborns are not my first doll hobby – I used to make cotton dolls and had an embroidery program to create doll’s faces. I have also knitted toys & doll clothes most of my life. So, this is just the latest in my new interests to create something unusual and different.

I would enjoy being one of the lucky people who are able to market & sell them but the economy is such that I don’t count on it for a living and so that is why I consider this a hobby for me. I love to make things and love to see the pleasure on someone else’s face when they get to appreciate my work!

— End quote

Thank you! It’s the same thing with me! I’ve started with clay figurines and jewelry (still making those, LOL). I love the whole process, and seeing them finished! Creating reborns was something more advanced than figurines, something new and exciting, and I needed to see if I’m up for the task

I think KJ hit the nail on the head. Before I started reborning I collected baby dolls and it was mainly because I have just always loved babies. It would fill that void or need of wanting a baby in the house. I would change their clothes and then put them back on the shelf. But as adults when you have a love for babies you just don’t ever tire of having a doll to hold or just look at. It brings out the childlikeness that we still have as adults.

I just love reading your stories! Thanks so much, ladies! You’re a HUGE help!

Thanks so much, everyone!

The great thing about this newspaper article is that I’ll write and photograph everything. I will not allow any “creepy” and “horror” remarks. The editor has already published one of my tutorials (not reborning-related), but I’ve written it and the photos were all mine.

I’ve felt horrible when the last TV segment with me and my dolls was so badly represented. All They did was add a terrible headline to the whole story, and shared it accross the whole web. “They buy dolls resembling their dead babies”. WTH?? The journalist appologuised for that, saying the editor insisted on the bizzare, but still… it messed with my whole concept of presenting the good side of doll making and I believe it caused a lot of damage. The opinion of the people that saw the segment will be hard to change now I’ve had two more offers after that (from Reuters and a TV station from another country from my region), but I’m afraid to do them now because I don’t trust they will avoid the bad connotations.

I feel safer with newspapers and believe that the editor won’t mess something up. Wish me luck, and I’ll keep you posted!

Interesting that a lot of the artists here don’t get emotionally attached to their creations…that must make them much easier to sell LOL I have sold a few babies, and given away a few more. Each one gets cuddled and their hair played with a bit when they are done. Only a few of the ones that I have done have I really fallen in love with, and I invariably keep them. In my keeper collection are eight dolls at the moment. Four are swap babies that I just love, one is a boo-boo baby whom I have fallen head over heels for, and the other three are my babies who are forever babies. I also collect other dolls that are from my childhood. I most definitely know they are not real babies, and I only take them out to show them to people or do photo shoots. But my keepers get their clothes changed often, and their hair combed etc. It relaxes me, and gives me great joy! And if my customers treat them as “real”, then all I can say is I’m glad that they have such good and loving mommies!!!
Congrats on another article!! I think it’s wonderful that you are educating people about reborns and reborning!!

I love brushing the hair after rooting And chosing the right outfit for the photoshooting. I guess that can be classified as playing - because it’s fun!

So far I’ve sold only the ones I didn’t care for much. But I’ll probably be a little sad if I ever sell my Honey (signature doll). She’s kind of special to me because I hated the kit when I got it, and thought I’ll never be able to make it look good, but the final layer of paint and those blonde eyelashes made all the difference. But I won’t sell it cheap LOL

— Begin quote from “Windyday2”

Hello
Here’s my perspective. Odd as it may sound, I hope I can explain it right.

I am a single mother of 5 children, 4 of which are all grown and moved away.
I have spent my entire life selfless and sacrificed almost everything that was only for ME to provide everything for my children. When I discovered reborn babies, I also discovered that it was incredible to snuggle them. Logically I know they are just a non breathing toy but by allowing myself to love them I found myself giving me permission to invest in only me. I am terminally sick also and hide all the pain and fear from everyone in my life. But with these babies I can feel free to love without explanations or justifications. With each baby I reborn it gives me something to throw all of me into in hopes that each of my reborn babies will be adopted and loved.
It’s like giving myself permission to be my utmost real self.
I know this sounds over complicated. But after being strong for everyone else all my life without ever asking " what about me?" reborning and keeping my favorite babies allow me to nurture me.
They also truly help with temporary pain relief. Holding a baby creates an oxytocin release, which is a natural pain reliever. I pray that I will be able to take some of my babies to senior centers or hospitals someday.

— End quote

No, it doesn’t sound overcomplicated. Thank you so much for sharing this, I really appreciate it! I would also want to take my dolls to senior center someday, but I’m too afraid. This kind of “thing” is very new to my country, and I still think there are too many sceptical people who would say that “cuddle therapy” is just a marketing trick.

Not yet! I’m still finalizing my doll for the article (wip of “Jody” to introduce people to this art form, step-by-step).
But the text has been almost written. I’ll need to edit it a bit, and send it in a few days along with a lot of pictures

I saved my dolls from my childhood (except for a few that were destroyed by the heat in a storage shed). Then I collected a few small dolls here and there, mostly Native American but didn’t name them. Then I got a baby doll like I had wanted for years (not a reborn) but I did name her and dress her both in outfits I had for my daughters and a few new. Then reborning hit. I’ve sold the practice dolls, kept the special one and named her/him (sometimes I have tried dressing her in boy clothes so now I have to find a boy name). Yes, I would play more if my 12 year old wasn’t jealous. Just play dress up and sometimes it does relax me to just hold one or look at them and remember when my babies were little. The reborn and the collector doll are my babies, the others are just displays like a model or a statue.
I want to make and keep a few, sell a few. Some do touch your heart. The one I kept has my husband’s hair. I’m using llama hair from my cousin’s llama that I just found out died so I may send my cousin one. I’d like to do some for Alzheimer patients since it runs in my family. Some will go to people who just want something special. So lots of reasons to make one. A few to keep one. And yes, if my family would let me, I might even take one out in public. I’d love to take one to someplace like Busch Gardens just for the fun of seeing peoples’ reaction! No chance my family would let me! But it would be fun just to see people’s faces!

— Begin quote from “djjessie228”

I saved my dolls from my childhood (except for a few that were destroyed by the heat in a storage shed). Then I collected a few small dolls here and there, mostly Native American but didn’t name them. Then I got a baby doll like I had wanted for years (not a reborn) but I did name her and dress her both in outfits I had for my daughters and a few new. Then reborning hit. I’ve sold the practice dolls, kept the special one and named her/him (sometimes I have tried dressing her in boy clothes so now I have to find a boy name). Yes, I would play more if my 12 year old wasn’t jealous. Just play dress up and sometimes it does relax me to just hold one or look at them and remember when my babies were little. The reborn and the collector doll are my babies, the others are just displays like a model or a statue.
I want to make and keep a few, sell a few. Some do touch your heart. The one I kept has my husband’s hair. I’m using llama hair from my cousin’s llama that I just found out died so I may send my cousin one. I’d like to do some for Alzheimer patients since it runs in my family. Some will go to people who just want something special. So lots of reasons to make one. A few to keep one. And yes, if my family would let me, I might even take one out in public. I’d love to take one to someplace like Busch Gardens just for the fun of seeing peoples’ reaction! No chance my family would let me! But it would be fun just to see people’s faces!

— End quote

Thank you for your input!

I do enjoy dressing up my dolls Yeah, it’s for display and photoshootings, but it’ fun. I admit I sometimes feel like I’m a kid again when the doll is assembled and ready for trying on clothes!

In the few occasions I did go out with my dolls, it was hillarious seeing people’s reactions to them. There was this one time, when I’ve sold my Paisley, I took it out of the plastic bag in the middle of the coffee bar, and the guy sitting on the table next to me almost choked with surprise