My experiment baby

I got this Adrie Stoete kit for free so I took the opportunity to try some new techniques.

The first was I bought Christine Woolley’s 3D hair painting book without the paints because I use heat set. Attempting to not only get the colors right but the strokes right proved to be a challenge. The first few layers looked like it was going to be a disaster but once complete it looks okay. But just okay, I can see how practicing and the more you do the better you will get. I will say the eye brow section was great. It made a dramatic improvement in my eyebrows.

The second experiment was using Americana soft touch varnish and corn starch with the guidance of this group. I am extremely happy with the way that turned out. I can not stand shiny babies so I always used strait heat set matt. My babies were rough to the touch but that was the way it had to be. The Americana feels soft with zero shine. I’m a believer and a converter!

25 Likes

She looks great and this is lovely I have been going back and forth over buying the tutorial now I probably will. The hair looks great.

5 Likes

The hair look realy good! I can feel it’s 3D-ness! You’ll be a hair painted master in no time!
I love her mottling!

Please forgive me to bringing it to your attention, but looks like your baby’s eyebrows goes in the opposite direction. It doesn’t meant that they are no exception and they cannot grow that way, but in most cases the hair lays in opposite direction.

3 Likes

Great job!! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Wow! I love it!!! So worth all your trial and errors :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Eeek! you are correct. I was so busy concentrating on the strokes I put them on backwards. :laughing: Photo from the tutorial book.

6 Likes

It’s always the next perfect baby :wink:

3 Likes

That hair looks great!

2 Likes

You have a good eye for detail!

4 Likes

Thank you, :upside_down_face: I pay attention to what I struggle the most :wink:

6 Likes

I think your hair turned out really nice for a trial run. I think the paints in her set are part of the success process. But, if you can work that well with whatever, then I say go for it.

3 Likes

Agreed, I think her paints and her brushes are a big part of it. I almost regret not purchasing the whole package.

My hubby did purchase that for me. I have paid for almost everything for my dolls. But, I really wanted that and didn’t have all the funds at the time. So, he gifted it to me. :slight_smile: THEN, that is just about the time the tree was thrown into our home and we had to live in hotels for over 4 months. So, it is still in the bag. I have looked at the book and the paints and brush(es). I want to try it as soon as I get to a place where I can. I want to use my extra head to try it.

4 Likes

I think you did a fantastic job on the hair. :heart:

2 Likes