Mottle or Flesh first?

Ive always used to do a couple layers of flesh and then one or 2 mottle layers but the mottle is always too red. Should I do a mottle layer first then flesh over it along with other colors? (blues, purples ect) Thanks! :smile:

2 Likes

I don’t see why not. Which layer at which stage is a personal preference, there’s really not a wrong way. You can always add more mottling later if you need.

5 Likes

Flesh first because red and blue will stain the vinyl (Thanks, Kim @ customdollBaby.com):smile:

4 Likes

What do you use for flesh if I may ask?

1 Like

@DancesWithDolls I use flesh 02 and flesh 08 from BB :smiley:

1 Like

I do several mottling layers red, blue, green, purple, yellow, burnt umber…no flesh at all.

11 Likes

I seldom use flesh, but when I do it is usually to tone down my mottles or veins.

4 Likes

I don’t do any flesh either, prime colors then on to mottling n creases in layers then a couple of final washes matte done yay wow wish it went that fast in real life lol

2 Likes

I do one flesh if I do not do a wash first, then veins, Then two flesh, then mottle yellow, purple, reds, blue where I need it. Then one flesh and a bit more mottling, more flesh if I feel it needs it. Creases, blush up and umber wash on most kits I do (not Jesse kit I did though.) :mask:

2 Likes

I use flesh through out my painting. But, I usually try for very light skin tones. One day I want to try a baby with no flesh, but I have never done this… And don’t like to ruin things if it doesn’t work. And I am not a fan of stripping dolls. Yuck. :grimacing:

3 Likes

What is the difference between washes and fleshes? Is it just the colors?

1 Like

Flesh is a wee bit thicker than a wash. It is flesh colored and it is dabbed on with a sponge. I do several layers of flesh to start and then my mottle.I then do my washes. It appears that if a wash is done over a couple of layers of flesh, the washes appear more translucent looking. It is like the wash has something to “cling” to.

5 Likes

Yes, Jenni, the only difference is the color used. A flesh layer is simply a wash using a flesh tone. That had me confused for the longest time, too. :wink:

2 Likes

Also a flesh tone usually adds little pin sized white dots that add visual texture to the skin.

5 Likes

Thanks ladies :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I used to do flesh on the older vinyl, too, but the newer lighter vinyl is so great that I don’t use flesh now unless it’s at the very end and I need to highlight an area for some reason.

2 Likes

YES! You are totally right! :thumbsup:

5 Likes

The reason that a flesh wash makes sense to me is, if you start painting with a red or blue and don’t like the placement or intensity, the “virgin vinyl” can stain. The quick flesh layer takes away that risk and gives a nice finish to add the details to. I’ve been adding a layer of flesh over everything toward the end. Maybe over kill? I like the depth it gives tho’:smile:

All that with the disclaimer of my newbie status. I bow to the masters here on the forum and respect their experience which counts for WAY more than "what I am doing because I watched a tutorial":+1:t2::+1:t2::+1:t2::+1:t2:

6 Likes

I like to start and end with flesh. At the beginning, it gives a base coat and the end…well, we want certain things to appear under the skin why not put skin over them? I don’t always use flesh tones though. Sometimes its warm or cool washes or both. There’s just so many ways to do it.

7 Likes

I’ve been at this for 14 years and I’m STILL learning, still trying new things. I don’t have a clear cut recipe, even though I tried that, too…each one lets me know when they’re done and I love when that happens. Soooooo…a dab of flesh here or there? Okey dokey! A little more mottling??? Alrighty, then! This brow needs another hair or two? DONE…LOL…see what I mean? :wink:

The great thing about reborning is this: we could ask a hundred people how they do it, step by step, and everyone would have a different way that makes their art unique. There is no right or wrong way, that’s the best part! To each their own, just keep making babies! :smile:

9 Likes