It's the great pumpkin Charlie Brown!

So I could use some serious input here as I’ve never had this problem before. I’m painting Dominic awake. I put her next to Lailani for color reference. I painted the head and limbs at the same time, but for some reason, the head turned really muddy while the limbs stayed a nice Caucasian tone. So I stripped it and started again, only the head was stained this horrific preachy /orange color. I started painting again and tried to color correct - nope, didn’t work. Stripped it again and tried to neutralize it as per the color wheel, and it appeared it might be OK, but when I started painting again, it went muddy! Aaaargh! I’ve color corrected and neutralized in the past with kits that were stained yellow and I’ve never had this trouble, but it’s really messing with me as to how it went south in the first place? Before I start again, has anyone ever had this trouble before? The second pic has

one of her limbs so you can see the color she was intended to be.

1 Like

She looks orange to me. Put a thin blue wash on her head to neutralize it and see how it looks.

1 Like

I’ve done that… Many, many times lol!
It’s like there’s something wonky worth the vinyl. According to the color wheel it had me neutralize with a teal blue. I put 9 very thin wash layers of that color on, and it turns muddy/ashy.

3 Likes

You can try orange/white, it works surprisingly well. Or blue/white. Just be careful to dilute enough or it can become chalky.
If nothing works, strip the limbs. At least all the pieces will be the same color to begin with.

2 Likes

I did a layer of the blue /white and it seemed chalky. Honestly, I really feel there’s something very wrong with this head. Since I painted everything at the same time originally, it should have been the same as the limbs, and quite frankly, if this were an AA baby it would be perfect, but it’s not, it’s a custom Caucasian baby, and it’s frustrating me so badly I’m ready to throw it in the trash!

2 Likes

I have big trouble with the new vinyl but I think this one is still the old/good one ?

1 Like

Did you bake each layer?

I use air dry

1 Like

Yes it should be the older vinyl. I’ve got 3 blue washes on him but it still looks so orange!

It looks like the old vinyl. White washes?

1 Like

How thick does it need to be? I tried using a blue /white on a layer last time but it looked chalky. Perhaps it was too thick?

Here’s where he’s at now with 4 blue washes next to his arm.

2 Likes

He looks more orange as I’m looking at him, and the limb isn’t finished yet, so it’ll get more washes

You have been painting a lot longer than I, but I had the same thing happen with Ducklin. I stripped her head and it was bright orange . I too tried blue washes as well asblue white nothing would neutralize. I bet I stripped her 4 or 5 times. Now I’ve decided to replace her head with something else, but there are so few to pick from, etc, etc.

1 Like

I haven’t been painting long enough apparently Lol! I have 3 full kits and a head going right now which makes babies number 10,11,12, & 13…and I’ve stripped and repainted before even after the vinyl stained a bright yellow and never had this problem. It’s so frustrating

1 Like

I totally agree, it is beyond frustrating. I wonder if there was a way to Paint it thickly a pale color and then paint as if normal? I also use air dry I don’t think the vinyl would take paint super Matte that way. I’m probably making no sense.

1 Like

lol that answers my question :woman_facepalming:t2: :heart_eyes:

I’m wondering if it’s at all possible you did more layers on the head?

Air dry isn’t easily stripped is it :thinking: I’m more likely to strip and start over tha add more to color correct but that is just me

1 Like

I’m not sure where that fine line is of doing too many blue washes? I’m like you in that I initially tried to color correct, which didn’t work. I’m beyond frustrated. I painted 3 full kits at the same time with the same washes, same mottling, and all of them are fine except for this head! I even tried doubt a few rounds of a very light flesh tone and that looked chalky too.

Do you mean there was still paint on the head? Your right about stripping it is so difficult, I use both Winston brush cleaner as well as 90% alcohol. The ears are absolutely horrible to remove the paint. Mine was squeaky clean after stripping, but pumpkin orange!!

1 Like

Keep going with light white washes. Add more warm tones to the limbs. They will match. One layer at a time

2 Likes