Is it time to raise prices?

I’ve typically been selling in the $140-$160 price range. As you all know that’s not a lot of revenue. Attached are pictures of my last few babes. What do you all think? Time for a price raise? Or should I keep on practicing? Constructive criticism welcome!

10 Likes

Do your babies have lashes? I can’t halfway see. Lol If they actually don’t, you may need to add them for higher priced babies.

You could try a price increase and see what happens. I raised mine like $20 last year and sales were the same. Pushed it $30 more and sales slowed down, but were still kind of steady, so now I have a sweet spot. Play around and see if you can find yours. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I usually don’t root because of arthritis- so I mainly do baldies without lashes. I can root, I just don’t. :joy: Do you really think lashes make that much of a difference? :face_with_monocle: Definitely food for thought. Thanks bunches!

2 Likes

I also usually don’t do eyebrows because well… you know…

6 Likes

At super low price points, maybe it doesn’t matter? Not 100% sure. All I can tell you is that the higher the price point, the more people expect as far as details. Look at babies at the price point where you want to be and see. Either that or increase your price and if they don’t sell, maybe consider adding brows and lashes.

I feel you on the arthritis! I have had rheumatoid arthritis for many years. It has been flaring up like crazy lately.

The painting looks good. I’d recommend adding hair whether painted or rooted. And definitely rooted eyelashes.

3 Likes

I agree that lashes and brows are a must for higher end babies. Newborns have very light eyebrows but I think it adds a good detail. I hear you on not wanting to do them though. I sat for over 2 hours trying to paint good eyebrows. Every time I got one I kinda liked, I couldn’t match it on the other side. They always seem to come out like thick caterpillars or so light you can’t even see them. They are a pain!

2 Likes

I agree with what Katie said. Your painting looks nice so I think you could get a better price than you are charging.

1 Like

I personally would not buy a reborn without lashes or eyebrows. It looks unfinished to me. I would want to add them or have them added if I didnt know how (then I would have to pay someone to do it).
Which would mean taking off the head and unstuffing, painting/drawing eyebrows, baking, varnish, baking twice, rooting, glueing, drying, trimming, stuffing, weighting, re-attaching

And even more if I wanted hair added…

And I absolutely would never buy a reborn that is asleep with fake lashes glued on. Rooting sleeping babies is sooo easy.

6 Likes

I completely agree. Even though I know how to add them I wouldn’t want to. And the glued lashes are very hard to get to look natural.

1 Like

I agree with the eyelash and eyebrow comments, they are necessary. I would also prefer some type of hair, bald just looks unfinished to me. When I first saw the pictures I thought you were showing us WIP for feedback on skin tones and such, I didn’t realize these were the finished babies until I read the comments from others. The painting looks awesome, just need to add more detail with eyelashes and brows and possibly hair to get a finished look and I would definitely say you could ask more.

3 Likes

Yes I think so. Your work is worth more than you are asking for sure! Maybe just add lashes and brows. Some people don’t care if they are bald. I like to buy them bald and add hair. Sometimes I do resell them for a bit more if I add hair but I always give credit to the other artist and state that all i did was add hair. Usually I’ll add some kind of link to the artist so they get more traffic also. It’s a win win I think

1 Like

If you feel like lashes and eyebrows just aren’t something you are comfortable doing, consider selling them as painted kits.

2 Likes

I agree with what others are telling you. If you would like to raise your prices you Need to learn to paint eyebrows and root lashes, these are VERY important to a finished baby look. Your painting is very nice and with more detail you could definitely sell your babies for more money. Rooting eyelashes on sleeping babies is extremely easy, painting / penciling eyebrows does take some practice. Be patient and you’ll do fine, maybe you can get a practice head just to work on eyebrows. Good Luck.

2 Likes

I don’t really see any creasing. I would do creasing and more shading…lashes and then see if you can up the prices :slight_smile: Oh and yes with at least the eyebrows…some penciled hair with Prisma :slight_smile:

1 Like