Is it just me - posting?

I have lately found number of posts on this forum written totally without any punctuation, which I find very tiresome to read. I do not want to be “grammar police” but if to make any sense of what the poster is trying to say, I need to edit it, and divide it into sentences, I just could not be bothered, and skip the post. Why should I give my time trying to help people who could not be bothered to even take enough time to write in a way that can be read easily?

3 Likes

oops im sorry i would be one of those non punctuation posters i apologise for that and my spelling however if its too much of a bother to read “our” posts and comment or advise then just dont do it theres a small x in the top right corner use it and dont let our posts ruin your day again sorry for the inconvienance

2 Likes

Do you suppose that since this modern age of technology they no longer teach punctuation, the same way they no longer teach “cursive” writing??? I think it’s a crime, Are we going to go back to the darkages when people couldn’t read or write. I wonder. I have made my granddaughter promise me she will teach my 3 great-grandbabies to “WRITE”.
p.s. Spelling is another thing that has gone by the wayside in this era of “spellcheck”. SAD.

4 Likes

I agree that posts with no punctuation are frustrating. It isn’t that I don’t want to read them, it’s that they’re too difficult to figure out. If I can determine what’s being said and I have something to add, then I’ll comment. Otherwise, I simply go the the next thread.

It’s unfortunate that our society as a whole doesn’t take pride in correct grammar and punctuation any more. Very sad. Watching the news gets me upset because they are professionals and they butcher the English language on a daily basis. :confused:

3 Likes

I would be one of those people also!!! Usually I’m just writing a quick post from my phone or iPad an don’t really pay much attention to all that didn’t realize it bothered people… When I’m on my desktop I usually can see the screen better but no matter how anyone writes a post or spells I read there post not everyone has the greatest education including myself. Its a forum an even if they have run on sentences it don’t bother me at all as long as I can understand what they are asking or saying :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I agree that they are hard to read. I can cope if it is just a sentence or two, but I will just ignore one that is a paragraph. I figure, whoever it is, does not really care about communicating with me and the message must be for someone else. I understand using the phone to type a quick response, but anything more than that is just like dumping out the Scrabble tiles and expecting someone to decipher the message. It could be a generational thing, but it is still sad that our language is going downhill. Not to mention, if you are on the internet, you could be communicating with someone who’s first language is NOT English. How would you like to read something in a foreign language that has no punctuation and is riddled with poor grammar and misspellings? I bet you would just “skip it”, too.

2 Likes

Exactly!

2 Likes

I am just pointing out that people who cannot be bothered to put the occasional full stop in their posts, may find that the most experienced reborners will ignore them.

3 Likes

I sometimes will “comma” my posts to death because on my iPad the comma and the space bar get pushed at the same time. I try to proof and fix, but sometimes I am just in a hurry. I can be a little bit of a stickler on punctuation and have to agree with Ludmilla that the reading of the message is a bit more difficult when it isn’t punctuated. I also hate “imma” instead of “I am going to” and stuff like that! I guess that a lot of people post like they talk and that’s okay too! I don’t have to like everything that comes along!

2 Likes