I'm ready....I hope! UPDATE 7-7-17

Oh ok…thank you :smiley: i actually bought a small set of the Liquitex Soft body acrylics…i gotta try them at some point…i just cant seem to put my ghsp away…lol. i just recently bought some thinning medium and im kicking myself for not buying it sooner…i love that stuff

3 Likes

So, is the genesis like using oils compared to acrylic? I know,on canvas I like oils but I don’t like the idea of baking

1 Like

How exciting :grinning:!!! You have a wonderful start up set!!! I’m curious to see how you like the Golden Fluid Matte!! I’ve tried both the
GGL (gloss) and the GGL (satin) but, I haven’t tried the GGL matte yet! Happy Painting
:art::grinning::art: What a great way to celebrate your Reborniversary :tada: 15 years ago, did you think you would be reborning blank vinyl kits with air dry acrylic paints?
I can’t wait to see your work :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I’ve heard the heavy body is a better option for reborning however, they are both artist grade acrylics so, I guess to each his own :wink:

1 Like

Good morning, everyone! I just primed a tummy plate and will be painting it today with Liquitex…excited to see how it goes! :blush:

5 Likes

I cannot wait to see your work! I have used acrylics from the start, but I did not catch on easily. It was (and sometimes still is) hard for me to get the translucent appearance that seems to just happen when using Genesis.

1 Like

Keep us posted Karen.

1 Like

Good luck. :+1:

1 Like

Well, I can understand now the concept of working on a small area at a time. I did veins and then creases and that part was great. Moved on to a mottle layer and did too big of an area and then tried to go back and that didn’t work, but I’m starting to get a feel for the paint. I did better on the other side with the mottle layer. I’ll be trying several more test pieces before I actually attempt a full kit.

7 Likes

It’s so exciting to follow this thread. I’ve only been using air dry so have no idea how it differs from GHSP. It will be so interesting to see your results… so far it’s looking good!

1 Like

Thanks, Lynn, I’m open to suggestions! I feel like I’m all thumbs or something. No idea how to fix that messy spot.

Genesis seems more forgiving. I’m going to keep trying.

2 Likes

Sometimes if I get a problem spot I put matte gel on it and redo the colors. I don’t know if that will help. Hopefully someone more experienced will come along with a suggestion! But the rest looks good!

1 Like

Thanks, Anne! I’m willing to try anything :slight_smile:

1 Like

I struggle with messy spots too! Sometimes there’s a spot on my glove and I don’t even notice that a little bit got on the vinyl until after it’s dry… sometimes I will take a tiny tiny bit of alcohol on a Q-tip so it will lighten/remove the spot, especially if I’m early in the process and there aren’t as many layers… but agree that those spots are annoying! I’ve never worked with Genesis, but I’ve heard it’s more forgiving since you can double check everything before baking.

1 Like

I’m afraid to try as I am so used to Genesis. I admire your courage Karen and am so thankful to you for sharing this with us.

1 Like

Thanks, Gail ~ I have to admit I’m a bit discouraged. There is a huge difference to me in the air dry and Genesis and I’m not sure I can actually DO the air dry and make it look like anything. I’ll try a few more test parts and report back, but for now I feel kind of blah about air dry :confused:

My hat’s off to anyone who can make a decent looking reborn using air dry!

5 Likes

Well my first Liquitex baby was green and I just had fun. The second was Naruto which was a flesh tone so I decided to try a realistic baby, Riley. I will post him when I’m done. It will be a while as I am a slow painter and rooter. And I don’t like posting WIPs, yet.

1 Like

I’m kinda thinkin’ I will have the same feeling Karen. I spent a lot of money for a set of the Real Effect paints ( cost of paint, cost to ship to CA, custom fees) and I may never use them. I’m so glad you are sharing this with us. I have been painting with Genesis since 2008 and I love them. I just don’t enjoy having to bake but I feel that the baking really sets the paint. I had to use furniture stripper on one of my dolls to strip it. The Winsor and Newton didn’t touch it. That tells me that the Genesis is permanent.

1 Like

I just can’t seem to get a feel for the air dry paint. It’s soooo different and in my head I’m thinking it should act like Genesis, but it doesn’t. LOL. I know I sound like a crazy person, but air dry just might not be for me. I’ve been reborning since 2002, using Genesis since 2008, so yeah, there’s a bit of a learning curve.

It’ll be a while before I feel comfortable with air dry, but I’m not giving up just yet. I’ll keep trying. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I understand. I am happy you are not giving up yet. :slight_smile: I need to try it again… lol

1 Like