I can't believe some people

Insurance and signature confirmation can add an additional $10 that can’t be figured when doing actual shipping costs. I normally figure it will be $30 for shipping, but the majority of the time it is more. How can anyone feel slighted when you offer free shipping? They don’t know your expenses.
When I was doing a flat rate, I received a few notices from EBay commenting how others were shipping for cheaper. They obviously don’t account for the size of the boxes because it costs considerably more to ship in the bigger boxes I use. I like my babies to lay as flat as possible so I use boxes that are 20" in length.

Of-course, they can, I just select the appropriate way to ship when I am listing. I weigh the baby in its box, and we also have to measure the size, enter all the info into boxes in the listing, then I select “parcel post with signature on delivery”. The buyer can see the price of the shipping including the signature cost, which automatically insures for couple of hundreds. Insurance above is here about $1 for every $100 over the basic, so i add $5 to cost of the doll. That cover me against loss. You do not charge buyer insurance, They are covered by PP if the item gets damaged, why would they want to pay extra insurance that covers the seller? Should the parcel get lost or severely damaged in post, they get their refund from PP and I get mine from the insurance.

OK, sorry about that! Thanks for clarifying.

You’re welcome! I guess I wanted to say something the other day when you mentioned perhaps stopping reborning because of cost increases due to CAN dollar. Made me sad. I think you should value your work and I know it’s hard because we like to be “nice” but if everyone thinks it’s cheap for you to make these they won’t give it the proper value. I understand a gift to a loved one and if you can afford it, charity to a legit cause is great, but why should you work for free, even as a hobby? After all, you wouldn’t work elsewhere on your time off for free.

1 Like

Isn’t this still charging the buyer for the cost of the insurance? Unless, you mean that you don’t have them see that they are being charged through shipping. Classifying it as an expense instead.
I see where I can calculate shipping based on weight and size, but not how to get the extras attached in the quote through auction. Perhaps I’m overlooking something.

Yes, you add insurance to the overall cost, so in fact the buyer pays, but you can choose not to take up insurance and cover the risk yourself an still sell the doll for the same price, so if you look at it that way you pay out of any profit. But if you tell the buyer that you suggest they take up insurance, they may very well just laugh, because they will get their money back from PP, so why should they?

You need to select the postage option that offers signature. You can also charge extra for wrapping, at least it used to be there. I never use it so not sure if it is still there. If options do not show for you there is a link in each category that allows you to show more options. You just tick everything you may want to use.

1 Like

As a buyer, I want my transactions to go as smooth as possible. Sure, PayPal may cover those times when the item isn’t delivered or damaged, but what about those deliveries that never make it into the buyer’s hands, but marked delivered. I don’t mind paying for the extra services if it insures the item is actually given to me and not to another neighbor or left out for someone to take. I see packages left strapped to the front of mailboxes all the time. Plus, all these thieves running neighborhoods looking for those packages left at doors. Wasn’t there a member here that had her laptop stolen just a couple of weeks ago? I would never be mad at a seller for wanting to recoup that expense. It gives me a peace of mind in purchasing online.

Most of the time, like 99%, I get my items mailed out the next day after I receive payment. I also just charge postage by weight, and usually use quality recycled boxes. I wrap each doll in its blanket and then wrap it in secure bubble wrap, and make sure it’s cushioned in the box. There are so many times when I paid part of the postage in order to attract buyers. And yet, still the postage rating is always my lowest rating. It’s very puzzling. It’s like there are more people out there today who just don’t want to have to pay for anything. :confused:

2 Likes

I would figure out how much it is for shipping at the most expensive place you ship and add it to the price of the doll and advertise free shipping if that is the case. I think a lot of people feel they’ve gotten a deal when they see the words free shipping. Any company, be it Old Navy or a rebornerer, if profitable, has to get the money for shipping from the customer, whether it is hidden in the price of the doll or stated directly. Otherwise you just can’t survive as a business. I buy from ON often and when the order is over 50$ shipping is free. We all know they are getting the money in the end from the sale.

1 Like

But, that has nothing to do with insurance. That is why any doll I sell goes with signature required. The insurance is for the seller to get their money back, absolutely nothing to do with the buyer, The insurance is taken by the sender, and is paid out to the seller/sender; unless they sign a declaration to pay the buyer. But WHY would they? PP pays the buyer, after taking it out of the seller’s account, and if the buyer also gets the insurance, they get double, and the seller ends up out of pocket!!!

I’ve had to make a claim so I am aware that it is filed and handled by the sender.
Please note that I put “extra services” instead of insurance.
Just pointing out in my reply that Paypal isn’t a fail proof backup for the buyer.

Sorry, I thought you were responding to the post that talks about sellers suggesting in their listing the buyer pays for for insurance or signature on delivery. Signature on delivery should not be an extra service. There is no way I would send anything of real value without signature on delivery; and there is no way I would give the option to the buyer not to use this service.