How do you achieve this?

Can anyone tell me how to achieve this skin texture? It looks so nicely 3-D. I’d like to learn how to do it.

Not my photo. But great job
the actual artists who did this.

5 Likes

following,

Once I read somewhere that you apply matt varnish and you bake it right away you don’t wait until is dry.
a while ago macphersons had a skin texture tool but I have no idea what the doll looks like when that was used

When I used Genesis sealers, I mixed thinning medium with some dewy skin, I think 1:1, and pounced it on with a cosmetic wedge that had the end torn off. Then I baked it before it dried.

Interesting, I’ll have to try this mix. What is the thought behind baking before it is dry.

1 Like

Baking before it dries allows it to appear a little more dewy looking. But it is an effect that mostly appears when photographed.

1 Like

I wish there was an air dry way to achieve this. It looks amazing.

There is

4 Likes

Car wash sponge and ghsp matte/satin mix

Thick medium will do it too but I think that one is too textured for my liking

2 Likes

You mean just the texture not the white dry areas right? I mix GHSP satin and thick medium for heavy texture. I’ve tried all different sponges but I get the best texture with these cheap craft ones. On areas I want a more subtle texture I use a torn cosmetic wedge. I also bake right away, the longer you let it sit the less texture you end up with. Certain areas I want super heavy texture I’ll use straight thick medium. After I’m done with texture I do a very thinned layer of matte varnish, almost the same consistency as my paint. If you do a regular matte varnish over it will hide a lot of the texture

1 Like

Yes, that’s right, just the texture of the skin. Thanks for the info and the pictures.

1 Like

Wow, that looks amazing! How do you do it with air dry?

1 Like

It’s liquitex ultra matt medium pounced on with a torn sponge.

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Your welcome, it needs to be done as the last layer after all the painting but before varnish.

2 Likes

Oh good now I have a use for that stuff!

1 Like