Hi! Brand new here!

Your kidding!!! :exploding_head: mind blown! I had no idea! Naive me thought it must be the paint, never once gave thought to the vinyl cooking being the issue!

:thinking: definitely changes my thinking!

I was reading two different methods using air dry at least I thought… maybe I wasn’t reading it correctly but my thinking was that you didn’t need to bake acrylics? Then was watching a tutorial where someone did and idk if it was recommended or personal preference. Guess I’ll research that a bit more too!
This was my practice doll before and after paint job five

I just took some snaps to show my family what I’d done lol needless to say my children were horrified. It’s ok they are well past playing with dolls though I think I’m going to make a reborn for my daughter who wants a B.B. of her own or another puppy. She’s 23 and not ready for either lol!

2 Likes

Hi there, Just wanted to welcome you to the forum. I would love to help you but I have only done 2 dolls 7 years apart and with different paints. I will say that now I have air dry and I love the not baking the baby part even though the paint is a little less forgiving I think.

1 Like

I think it’s the the doll not the paint or thinner that smells.

Welcome to the forum and the addition. Once you start reborning there is no getting out. You can search all you questions here and if you don’t find the answer ask away. We are a great group of supporting enables.
But seriously you are going to love reborning and everything that this forum has to offer. This group of people are caring, supportive and so incredibly helpful. I’m not here a lot, but I always know that I can count on finding what ever I need here from a helping hand to a prayer in difficult times.
Beautiful pictures. I wish I could take picture like you.

2 Likes

No, you do not bake the acrylics. None that I have ever heard of at least. They are air dry and dry pretty quickly. By the time you finish painting one layer on all the parts, they are usually ready to start the next layer.

2 Likes

I admit I used my home oven for my first babies and I got a total migraine storm. I knew I was hooked so I just went to amazon and ordered the nuwave, it was about 100 bucks. Best investment ever. I have a cracked and taped up dome and I know I should get a replacement but it feels like an initiation and good luck.

2 Likes

The thinner is odorless but you need to have ventilation. The paints are amazing, I love working with them and the learning curve is simple. I made some videos, I am not an expert but I play one on You Tube (just kidding). The videos are for people who are new to the hobby and intended for people just starting off with a few things. Kim at custom doll baby is amazing, check out her videos too. We both have different painting styles and personalities but the info is similar. (excuse the dorky thumbnail).

4 Likes

So are these basically cream paints?
More like make up?

1 Like

No, they are not makeup, they are artist powders, a bit like chalks (you can also use those) but in a pot…they appear to look like eyeshadows in the pictures but they are much larger and not makeup. You can use the eyeshadows from Coastal Scents though and I do use those on my ethnic babies but I prefer Panpastels and use those far more frequently. PanPastel | BLICK Art Materials

They have them on Macphersons as well…they also have sets and tools

Also…dont bake your acrylics…thats the perks of using them that you don’t have to expose yourself to toxic fumes from cooking vinyl :wink:

3 Likes

OMG what?

lol
Two weeks?

Well, I learn something new. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Yes, for acrylics to completely cure, it takes 2 weeks. So, for that reason you just let your baby sit around after it’s completed till it’s fully cured.

I let my babies sit for a month before I give them to their Moms/Dads. Or I tell them to let them sit for a while before they change clothes etc. But they are usually cured in 2 weeks. In NC it did take a month living by the ocean.

Can u varnish it or do u need to wait 2 weeks to varnish?

1 Like

I am not @lynn but I wait at least a week before varnish.:smiley: