Have you ever thought about trading on the forum…

Artist to artist trading like I make a baby for you and you make one for me and we ship to each other? I am wanting to see others work without paying for it so to speak…:joy::joy::see_no_evil: just wondering if there is such a thing, do people do this? Would any of you?

Wanting to put feelers out there :thinking::woman_shrugging:t2:

5 Likes

We have done Swaps in the past and someone used to organize it, the organizer knew everyone’s skill level and would match the painters with someone who had a pretty equal skill level. That way someone who was a very skilled artist didn’t get matched with a New artist, understand? It was a Secret swap, you only knew who you were making a baby for but had NO idea who you were getting one FROM. I think that’s how I remember it, if someone else remembers it differently feel free to jump in here. I would say: if you want to Swap a baby with someone-----just ask them and “go for it” if they are game.

Maybe you didn’t know who you were making the baby for UNTIL you received the address to ship the baby to from the organizer. Not sure of the details. It’s quite a fete matching skill levels though.

6 Likes

That’s interesting!

3 Likes

I would have loved to participate in some of it but as I am in Canada I never got a chance. I mean, we are only 2, maybe 3 ? So far for the secret…

3 Likes

I would love to do a swap, but I get so nervous about my work I would be scared that I would be shorting then other artist or that they wouldn’t like the baby! I would really like to own some other artists work though, I always tell myself on the next holiday I’ll finally buy a baby but never do.

6 Likes

Sounds interesting. I would be very self conscious of my work also. I too would feel I shorted another artist.

3 Likes

I’d like to participate if someone ever organized another forum swap.

4 Likes

I would be willing to help coordinate a swap as long as I don’t have to make the judgment calls to pair artists!

4 Likes

Yeah, that job would be a booger

4 Likes

I’d love to participate, but I’m such a slow artist. Takes me forever to paint a doll! Maybe some people can do a painted kit or a cuddle baby?

5 Likes

I’m not very fast either, especially with rooting! Hopefully everyone would be patient :grimacing:

5 Likes

I’d love to do it. I’ve done a few. One like a secret Santa where there was a organizer. I had no idea who was painting a baby for me and the person I painted for didn’t know I was the one painting for them.

I’ve also asked artists to do a straight swap where we chose a kit to paint and agreed on a timeline that was doable for both. We didn’t share our progress with each other so when the babies arrived they were a complete surprise! It was really neat to see how someone else painted the same kit as me and made it look so different.

There are so many little things to think about. Timing to not be in a crunch around chaotic holidays or when you know you’ll be broke or busy :innocent:. Making sure you are doing an equal swap with someone of equal skill level which is hard because beginners can’t learn from beginners… or can they? :thinking::thinking::thinking: of course they can! Because everyone does things different and you’ll find something that changes the way you paint, root, or weight your babies :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: also agree on kits because it would suck if you painted and dressed a toddler with a huge box opening and someone you swapped with reborned a BB seconds kit :crazy_face:

I did have issues with my swaps the secret one was a lot of pressure because it was for a more advanced artist… the other swap my kit arrived damaged so I got off to a late start and then the hair I chose to root with with super fine and tangly and it took forever and weeks and weeks waaaaay past my deadline. :pleading_face:. So there are pitfalls and unforeseen things that can come up, so it’s a good idea to have a good relationship with anyone you swap with so you can work through any mishaps.

I’d love to trade babies with some of the more advanced artists but I don’t see that happening lol they’d get cheated! But it would be neat to see how they blended, mottled, shaded, rooted, did thier nails, noses and ears… especially creases and how they dealt with all the wrinkles and stuff in hands and feet. But I think I need to buy one of thier babies to do all that :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

I agree with you, if you are looking for a more ‘advanced’ doll that you could learn techniques from it would definitely be best to purchase one. Find an artist that you really admire their work and see if they have a baby for sale that you fall in love with. I understand ‘swapping’ may be a ‘cheaper’ way BUT there are a lot of things that can go wrong-----that’s why you need a coordinator who KNOWS everyone’s skill level and can pair them accordingly. Nobody wants to paint a baby that they believe is really well done and then receive one that’s not so good. It happens and then people are disgruntled.

4 Likes

I do remember that the babies were baldies. It would be cool to paint Cuddle Babies. I did a Swap one time and was so nervous about it. I would only do one if other Alternative Artists would Swap. :woman_zombie:

2 Likes

I have taken part in a number of swaps.

My argument for not matching up skill levels: someone has to decide who should be matched up with whom. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And there will always be someone who is unhappy with their baby.

My argument for matching up skill level: honestly I don’t know that everyone who signs up will have the right attitude. Most of us would be excited about painting a doll for a fellow artist and would want to do our very best. Others might be more interested in what they are getting and whether it is as nice as what they are sending.

It would be great if we could set everyone up in pairs to help each other create the best babies we possibly could. For example Lisa and I could be partners. While we wouldn’t be making babies for each other, we would be helping each other along. We could send each other photos and give each other honest feedback and encouragement to make the best baby we can. It would instill confidence knowing we have a second pair of eyes to help along the way.

Setting a price range is important (Realborns only or non-realborn BB kits)
It is also great to have a list of kits the swappers like or at least a list of likes and dislikes.

The most important thing is doing the best you can creating a baby for someone else. And having a good attitude… if I get a baby that doesn’t fit into my collection, I do know someone who would love that baby (a young collector or a nursing home resident for example).
So many things can be done to have a successful and fun swap.

Just some of my thoughts on the topic.

7 Likes

Cuddle babies would be fun! Not as much pressure time wise

That is a really good idea!

Maybe we could do something after the holidays?

5 Likes

Easter or Mother’s day swap maybe

4 Likes

Oooh Mother’s Day!!! How perfect

Painting the same kit together at the same time would be fun

Imagine the thread for that one :rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

I’ve loved the swaps I’ve done! I have beautiful babies to show for it and I also got to create for some of my dolly friends.

I think a cuddle head swap would be easiest if anyone were to do one

5 Likes