Has anyone opened Sofie's eyes?

I was looking at the BB sale kits for making kids’ playborn babies and thinking Sofie would be a perfect kit because kids like thumb sucking babies. However, they also prefer open eyed babies. Has anyone tried opening her eyes to make them even just peeky eyed? I want to know if it works or is hard to do. I have never opened eyes on a kit myself.

1 Like

My 12 year old loves the open mouth but dislikes open eyes… just bought her a Sofie when it was on sale a few days ago.

1 Like

I didn’t open the eyes, I closed them. :wink: but quite a few ladies here did it for the Celeste challenge. I think @AmyR777 was one of them.

Only concern I would have with opening the eyes is if the child is young and really plays with the doll would bet that you will need to make sure the eyes are secured very very well because there will be no sockets to hold the eyes and if they dislodge, which can happen, you will be pulling off heads and trying to fix the eyes all the time… :wink:

3 Likes

True. I should probably just leave well enough alone for her.
jlesser Thank you for telling me that. That makes me feel more inclined towards her.

1 Like

Well I just went back to see about placing an order and she isn’t even on discounted deals now anyways, LOL! They have changed since I looked this morning. Oh well I see some others I like.

Oh wow, you even cut around to make a tear duct, that looks pretty good!

2 Likes

Thanks! I think it will be hard to get the eyeball to sit flush to the eye with no gaps showing though. That would drive me nuts because I have issues with wanting things perfect.

2 Likes

@anjsmiles, this post may help:

http://discourse.bountifulbaby.com/t/confession-time-about-celeste/25531/61

1 Like

Thanks. That was informative. One thing Celeste has is a crease on the lid where there is a good spot to cut for a peeky eyed look. Sofie’s eye is not as defined of a crease there. Sofie also seems to be a bit more bug eyed even with her eyes closed. I think if she were cut very peeky eyed it might work but I am not going to try it I don’t think. At least not on a good kit. If I had a test head of her I might.

3 Likes

I’d definitely try it on a test head first!

2 Likes

Angela, was your blade fresh? I think it was Helen (@honojane) had noticed that the blade did MUCH better when it was new.

1 Like

It helps to draw how you want the cut first because you can keep erasing it until you get the shape you want. Smoothing the edges realistically is difficult, i think. I opened the eyes on my Priscilla by Marianne Smith but her eyes were so tiny that the edges didn’t really need smoothing. I just put a little bit of glue on the edge of the eye opening and set the eye on top of it. I let it dry, upside down, so it would stay in place, then went back and added more glue around the edges. Then I did the other eye.

As an alternative you can also try to paint the eye right on top of the eyelid. I’ve seen a couple of people do it with Celeste and it took me a while to finally figure out the eyes were actually painted.

I’ve seen some amazing painted eyes. That’s something that’s definitely NOT in my repertoire of painting skills! LOL