GHSP being discontinued?!

Genesis is an oil paint and air dry are acrylics. I have never used acrylic before trying air dry reborn paints. I dont do much reborning now and this will definitely mean I will do the kits I have and then probably stop this hobby

Do you know where this info came from? This isn’t on Amaco’s site (that I could find, and I scoured their site and the Internet) and Genesis isn’t on their discontinued spreadsheet.

I am not sure where @Lorin got the info, but I saw it shared on Facebook. I thought it was from an e-mail someone received when they canceled her order. I like Genesis and am concerned that the industry will suffer because some artists will not want to use acrylic paint, but I have used both. Personally, I can paint just fine with acrylic and there are even some things that I like better using it. One is that I had several kits that every time I baked the paint disappeared, once I learned my mediums and prep that was not an issue with acrylic. Still I do use Genesis and like that option. I hope someone picks it up and figures it out.

4 Likes

I’m starting to wonder if this isn’t true at all? It’s being shared EVERYWHERE… but the wording sounds unprofessional at best?

1 Like

See my thread on this. The problem is a supply issue, so it sounds like it can no longer be made.

OK here is my take on all this. I asked Ruth Annette and she says yes it is true. Genesis discontinued.

I have been using the Kabelka varnish mixes and so far am very happy with those. They have a line of paints. The colors are somewhat limited but for those who want heat set they might be a good option. So far MacP is carrying the mediums only. I think @bbsupport should look into being a dealer for the Kabelka. They are loving it in Spain and the old saying of not reinventing the wheel…

As for air dry paints, you all know I have painted with them for years and done extensive testing on them. Here is my final say on that matter. I have found that most of the pre-mixed air dry paint systems made for reborn dolls will fade some over time. How much fading you get depends on how much you thin it down. The best results I have gotten has been using Golden Fluid Paints and mediums and limiting my water ratios. I have also used some Liquitex Acrylic Gouache paints. Those are the strongest pigments it seems, particularly when it comes to reds. Your reds will fade first followed by your yellows if you get any fading. Over a period of 6 mos or more it is not unusual to see some desaturation of the color overall but then they pretty much stabilize. I have 3 babies here in my crib I am watching. The oldest painted one is Esme. Her first round of coloring done with a popular reborn air dry paint mix faded out on me. She had been sealed with Genesis matte varnish. I remottled and blushed her with Golden Paints pretty starkly then put my air dry varnish mix over that. That was over a year ago and she has settled into her own pretty well and looks good. Keiko and Miracle I painted last year with Golden Paints and both seem to have desaturated slightly but not enough that most would notice. Both are air dry varnished as well.

I have babies here in my crib I painted many many years ago with Genesis and they have held their coloring pretty well. One may have desaturated slightly but I am not sure. He is the Harvey sculpt and an older vinyl.

When it is all said and done, I will say that Genesis has had the best longevity of color of any paint I have used. I was so happy to finally find a thinner I am not allergic to and be able to go back to Genesis. Now we have this…

7 Likes

Yes, I know that, but they worked on a new formula, released some products, and if the message is accurate, have decided it did not work out… Yet, that does not mean some other company possibly with more resources could not find substitutions or reformulate. The company that makes (or made) Genesis is not a large company. At least I want to believe someone else could tinker with it and get a good product :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I sure hope so.

2 Likes

It seems like the manufacturer no longer wants to continue to produce it. Hopefully, Genesis can find a new producer/manufacturer. It’s seems the new formula release was just a trial run & the actual bulk wasn’t going to be released until October. There was a few complaints about a bit of shininess from the mediums but I haven’t saw any other types. Hopefully there will be alternatives in the near future.

3 Likes

There is already an alternative made by a couple of Spanish artists, I don’t know what they are like as I use acrylic paint but here is the link to their group on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/424159972658559/?ref=share

5 Likes

I was thinking that, too; hopefully there is another company that can take them on for production, especially if they realize how much the reborn community uses them. I think Genesis kind of gave up on selling them in enough quantity to canvas artists, since many rejected them and made not so nice comments about them on the internet about a decade ago. I really hope someone realizes there is a good market for them with us artists and will consider producing them.

2 Likes

Thanks for the link! :smiley:

I wonder if they are like the Kabelka or more like Genesis?
I looked at the page and it looks like they are not selling to the US.

Here’s a little hope! I do hope they expand the line once they see it’s a market for them!

16 Likes

I was just coming here to share this same pic. Yay for Bobbi! :grin:

7 Likes

Excited! My ONLY hope is that the line gets expanded GHSP had 86 colors. I was told this one has 11 and 3 mediums. I’m positive it will as more begin to use them. :crossed_fingers: This is start so no complaints! Something is better than nothing!!

7 Likes

This is good news!:grin:

1 Like

I am positive that there will be a product to replace Genesis. Their paint is not oil paint, but closer to acrylic paint according to their description.
“(Acrylic paint is a fast-drying paint made of pigment suspended in an air dry acrylic polymer emulsion. Genesis paint on the other hand is made of pigment suspended in a Heat-Set polymer emulsion.)”
This too:
“Acrylic paint can be used for underpainting and Genesis paint can be painted over the acrylic for final detail. Acrylic paint once dry can be heated like Genesis without a problem.”
This is good if you need to conserve your remaining Genesis paint!

4 Likes

Thanks for posting this! I didn’t realize. Many were saying they were compatible which lead me to believe they could be mixed together.

1 Like

Yes, many people think that they are oil paints, but they are not.
They can be used over acrylic paint, which will help if people are running low, but don’t want to completely switch to air dry.

1 Like