German vinyl how do you really feel

So, I’m painting German vinyl and it really irritates me. I don’t get it what’s the trick how do you make paint stick. Tried skin texture Foundation and that did not make me to happy so I stripped it. Who else does a does not like German vinyl?

2 Likes

Oh no I am starting a German Vinyl kit in a few weeks. I’m scared! :worried:

I have never heard of this issue, but then again I use air dry paint so maybe it’s different. The only thing that I hate is how orange some kits are.

3 Likes

With me it’s kind of hit and miss. I use air dry paints, though.
I had one that was horrible to paint. Those limbs just refused to take paint, it all beaded up even after a few layers of primer.

1 Like

I also use acrylics and I don’t have a problem with paint sticking but I also hate the orange colour and then that rock solid head…so fun to root :sweat:

2 Likes

I hated the vinyl the first time I saw it maybe it was the amount of pin prick holes I found and the hardness but to paint it I found it amazing and I feel my best painting job was done on German vinyl so go figure lol …

I am sure you will get used to it and make it work after playing around :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

I found the recipe I used for the neutralizing the peachy kit.
12 parts Titanium white
1 part genesis yellow
A touch of genesis red
And I noticed that Jackie does 5 layers of this first off, then the thinning medium with a touch of color after that. (see the above video)

4 Likes

Had a german vinyl toddler and it was terrible. I couldn’t get paint to stay on and it was so orange. I ended up doing an AA toddler.I don’t do german vinyl anymore, period. oh and the heads are like rocks on most. Wish you the best.

1 Like

I LOVE it, and hate that Chinese vinyl :frowning: I try to find out before I buy OR buy straight from Puppentram in Germany so I know it is German, best quality <3

2 Likes

@Shera1 well that helps, lol. Mine is going to be an ethnic Toddler anyway so I’m not too scared anymore. :thinking:

I hate German Vinyl it sucks the paint right up.

What about Puppentraumland? Do they have good vinyl?

1 Like

And that is why there will always be more than one kind of vinyl LOL!!!

1 Like

Where I BB kits made. If not in Germany now they were in the past.

1 Like

BB kits are made in China, if I remember correctly.

1 Like

Its not really a case of good or bad as far as the vinyl is concerned, its just different or what you are accustomed to. People who have mainly painted only the white vinyl, like what you get from BB, may have issues with the darker coloured one. Its mainly the heads that are hard, the limbs of German vinyl babies are soft, its kind of a strange contrast but it works out ok in the end…after you mange to root LOL. Ive bought babies from Puppentraumland, and will again. I buy a lot of my supplies from there as well, they have very good service.

4 Likes

Thank you, this was one of the best reviews on German vinyl vs American etc. I think I’ll buy from them soon. They have great kits and sales.