Genesis Paint Not Curing

The old batch seems to have no color? Am I missing something?

1 Like

The old batch was the batch that stayed on. The new batch wiped off after unlimited attempts to bake onto a vinyl arm. I wiped all swatches with separate sponges.

2 Likes

Okay… I wasn’t sure what I was looking at… definitely not cured on the first 3…

1 Like

Yes :pensive: I even bought a new oven in a panic. It turned out both ovens were working! So a 4 dollar jar cost me big time!

3 Likes

This morning I looked at all the regular size jars of GHSP that I have. The one I purchased most recently was my Ultramarine Blue. Haven’t used it yet as I still have some in my old jar. I ordered it around May, possibly. I notice that some of my GHSP jars have a sticker tag on the bottom that has a date. Most of my jars the sticker has fallen off. But the few that still have them, none of the dates are later than June of 2019. Some are April of 2014. So, when you get your jars I would check to see if there is a date sticker on the bottom and keep track of dates and if the paint has this problem or not.

I saw that sticker on the bottom of my paint jar and didn’t know what it meant, thought maybe it could be a batch number. The number on my 1oz jar of ultramarine that doesn’t cure is 081920.

1 Like

That date makes sense in light of the COVID mess.

1 Like

I did a test with my most recent jars of paint. One of my ethnic brow and Mars black kind of rubs off like @Alypants test did, my q-tip had a bit of paint colour on it. The ultramarine is the worst it rubs off brilliant blue and I can rub it completely off my vinyl piece with just a a-tip and water. The only thing left is a slight blue hue that kind of stained the vinyl if you look for it. I did my tests all on the same piece of vinyl. My good paints cured and these three didn’t.

Black

Ethnic brow

Ultramarine blue

4 Likes

That is awful! I feel so bad for you and the others who have gotten this defective paint. And I worry this is going to cause a lot of issues for the reborn world. Many people may not realize the paint batch is bad. And this isn’t good for those who use the primary color method. Don’t you use that? I hope they can fix this problem soon.

1 Like

Isn’t it Amaco that makes the GHSPs?

Yes I use primary and that’s how I knew right away that it was the blue that wasn’t curing. I did a whole bunch of mottle layers in red, yellow and blue and then baked. I started doing my creasing and realized blue paint was rubbing of when I was rubbing to blend my creases so I tested it. With the three colours all on my vinyl and baked together you would think that it would come off in a mixture of colours, but no it was just pure blue wiping off. I can’t paint now because those two jars are the only blue I have. I need to order some but I’m scared that I’m going to end up getting a jar from the same batch.

1 Like

It wouldn’t surprise me if it has happened to others and they just didn’t realize it or didn’t realize what the actual problem was. @Alypants buying a new oven for instance. At least she got to the bottom of it.

1 Like

I don’t know. I don’t see that name anywhere on my paint jar.

1 Like

Amaco makes the Genesis mediums, and I thought they also made the paints…or maybe just the medium that is used in the paints. I really hope they find out about this and fix it ASAP. It seems there is no rock left overturned by COVID.

2 Likes

I’m not even sure they are aware it’s a problem. If it isn’t big enough yet or enough people haven’t brought it up they likely don’t know

How do we get the word out to other reborn artists who use GHSPs, so they can test their newer paints? Facebook?

There is another culprit. I just opened my Magenta 02 from dolls by sandie and it isn’t curing either. It came off with water after baking to correct temp. :sob:

@Dollsbysandie have you had any other complaints? I don’t need a refund. It was a tiny jar- just something to check into! We now have seen this problem from BB, macpherson also, so I am sure it is the manufacturer. I wonder if they make it with the blue pthalo that doesn’t cure :pensive:
I mix a similar color myself- I just wanted the magenta because it was brighter.

2 Likes

Another bad outcome. There were other colors used before this bake and they cured, because only magenta is coming off.

2 Likes

Well I hope at least everyone on this forum reads this post

2 Likes

This is not a good sign at all! I’m very worried about our genesis paints

1 Like